Looking for a more experienced linguist

  • Claire Knudsen-Latta
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 22, 2009
      Hello the list!

      I am working on a gift for a friend who is a member of the SCA. My
      experience is in Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse and am having trouble with the
      lack of vocabulary in Gothic. Would someone who is more apt with the Gothic
      language please take a look at the below sentence and, once they stop
      laughing, point me in the direction of correct grammar. I've got the Gothic
      above and English below. ((th) is being substituted for thorn, my computer
      is having a day.)

      Claire

      Her kaupo ai(th)am mi(th) Wista-waipam. Ik giba frije liban meinai jah
      andbahti fri(th)au jah hriggam.

      Here I trade oaths with the Crown of the West. I freely give my life (I
      wanted 'loyalty' but couldn't find a form of hyldo/hold in Gothic) and
      service for protection and rings.

    • Friþureiks
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 22, 2009
        Hi!
        This comes very late but I answer anyway.
        I think it would be better with frijaba instead of frije.
        The word for life is libains (sf) if i'm not totaly wrong.
        I don't know if giban takes any special case but i'd guess it should be accusative, hence "Ik giba frijaba libain meina" (if dative: libainai meinai)