Re: [gothic-l] Re: winja

  • Marja Erwin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
      On Mar 30, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:
      > Since we have the word 'vini' in Sw. and Norw. for pasture I am
      > wondering wether Northgermanic, as I have allways beleived, is
      > closer connected to Gothic than Westgermanic. Thats the main reson.
      > I am involved in a discussion and I have to know what I talk about
      > even if I am not a linguists. Ther are as you know a lot of words
      > for pastue like Weide, Wiese et c. Thy pasture is in Sw. gennerally
      > 'beta', to grass, which must be connected with 'bite'. The use by
      > Wulfila of certain words hence makes a confusion.
      >
      > Hope you understand the problem!
      > Thank yoou for the help.
      > Ingemar

      I suspect all of us have wondered about that.

      Another question: how could we determine what languages pre-existed
      Gothic north of the Danube? On historical grounds we can assume some
      Alanic language, and either Dacian or a Danubian Latin dialect. Slavic
      languages are also possible. But how, for example, would we detect an
      earlier Germanic substrate, perhaps Bastarnaean?

      Marja Erwin
      marja-e@...