Codex

  • g_scaff
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2009
      Hails,
      R.Elliot in his book _Runes, An Introduction_, pg34 refers to
      a "Salzburg codex 140, now codex 795" of the Austrian national Library
      in Wien, a manuscript which has the rune and letter names in
      Gothic/Gepidic.
      The codex Vindobonensis 795 on gotica.de is clearly not this
      manuscript, does anyone know of the codex I'm looking for, and where it
      might be on the web?
      Thank you, Gregory
    • Ingemar Nordgren
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2009
        Hi Gregory,

        I do not know how to find it on line. I can however say that the most
        important item in that codex is that the letter 'T' is called with its
        Gothic name 'Teiws', understood as Tiwaz, Ti, Týr'.

        Best
        Ingemar

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2009
          > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "g_scaff" <g_scaff@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hails,
          > > R.Elliot in his book _Runes, An Introduction_, pg34 refers to
          > > a "Salzburg codex 140, now codex 795" of the Austrian national
          Library
          > > in Wien, a manuscript which has the rune and letter names in
          > > Gothic/Gepidic.
          > > The codex Vindobonensis 795 on gotica.de is clearly not this
          > > manuscript, does anyone know of the codex I'm looking for, and
          where it
          > > might be on the web?
          > > Thank you, Gregory

          It's the same manuscript, but this is just a part of the Gothic
          material in it. Besides the numbers and sample phrases here [
          http://www.gotica.de/vindobonensis.html ], the codex contains two
          versions of the Gothic alphabet, along with the Gothic names for their
          letters, apparently transcribed according to Old High German spelling
          conventions. Titus has a list of the names alongside those of the
          runes for comparison [
          http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/didact/idg/germ/runennam.htm ].
        • g_scaff
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
            Hails, thank you all for your helpful posts! Gregory