Re: Hello

  • Pablo
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hello all,

      Happy New Year and sorry for my absence. I'd like to express my thankfulness to
      you all, I've read all your emails really carefully. Instructive and educative on
      Gothic and the Goths. The thing is, I've felt that most of you are quite ahead of
      me, many seem to be long time linguists, so there is little I could do to enhance
      the discussions, apart form a comparative perspective.

      Please, unsubscribe me from the list, I hope I'll be able to return when I have a
      deeper knowledge of Germanic languages in general.

      Best wishes and thanks,

      Pablo

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > and some new. Together they give a broad but definitely not united
      > view of the Goths.Hope I did not frighten you now. It will take quite
      > a while looking them all through so you have to make some choices.
      >
      > Good luck!
      > Ingemar
      >

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Bob Offer-Westort <Bob@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm working on some independent research into the origins of the
      > Old
      > > English poem known as 'Deor', & have been reading Wolfram for some
      > > Gothic context (mostly concerning the Ostrogoths during the
      > lifetimes
      > > of Cassiodorus & Jordanes). I plan to read Heather & Kaliff, as
      > well
      > > as Ingemar's thesis & Thomas Burns *A History of the Ostrogoths*,
      > but
      > > I rather suspect that I'm missing out because my reading derives
      > > mostly from looking at English-language materials. I don't have a
      > > background in history, & I'm coming from outside the Academy, so
      > I'm
      > > not really sure how to navigate resources save by looking thru
      > > bibliographies. Is there material in German or other modern
      > European
      > > languages since 1988 that one should read in order to have a
      > decent
      > > understanding of scholarly interpretation of later Gothic history?
      > How
      > > does one go about finding out whether or not this sort of material
      > > exists other than asking on a listserv? Basically, how do academic
      > > Gothicists keep up to date?
      > >
      > > (I am learning Latin, & do plan to eventually read some of the
      > primary
      > > sources directly, but currently am not yet capable of so doing.)
      > >
      > > Thanks much for any advice any of y'all can provide.
      > >
      > > -Bob
      > > San Francisco, California, USA
      > >
      > > P.S. A happy Kwanzaa, Chanukkah, Boxing Day, & Feast of St. Stephen
      > > you all. Enjoy the turtle doves.
      > >
      > > On Dec 7, 2008, at 5.12 PST, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi David and welcome!
      > > >
      > > > The Goths are disputed in many ways and so is their history. I
      > have
      > > > myself disputed in the matter and my dissertation is published in
      > > > bookform as "The Well Spring of the Goths". It is a bit unortodox
      > when
      > > > it concerns what makes them Gothic, where I mean earlier
      > researcher
      > > > got
      > > > it wrong, but otherwise it tells the conventional story in great.
      > > > have a literature index where you might find a lot of literature
      > about
      > > > the Goths. You can test read it at Google library. The most well
      > known
      > > > classical books internationally are Herwig Wolfram "The Goths" and
      > > > Peter Heather "The Goths". An interesting new angle is also Anders

    • Friþureiks
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 22, 2009
        Hi!
        This comes very late but I answer anyway.
        I think it would be better with frijaba instead of frije.
        The word for life is libains (sf) if i'm not totaly wrong.
        I don't know if giban takes any special case but i'd guess it should be accusative, hence "Ik giba frijaba libain meina" (if dative: libainai meinai)