Re: Hello

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hi Pablo!

      I must add an intressenting thing about the word escanciar.
      This is cognate to swedish skänka which means "give away" but it can
      also be used in a certain context as in "skänka i vin" which mean
      pour wine into a glass. I think this is similar to the meaning of
      escanciar.

      You probablöy mean Gutiska razda or so gutisko razda. Some suggest
      gutanisks instead of gutisks in nominative masculine form.

      About your name would I try to translate it, but I'm not sure it will
      be totaly correct.

      Paul is probably Paulus in gothic. I haven't found it yet even though
      I searched a little for it. If I find it later and it's smthelse I
      tell you.

      Your last name which you translate as "grape-picker" (which I by the
      way would say is a noun) could perhaps be smth like:
      Weinabasiharbisja.
      Maybe with alternative ending as: -harbisjareis, or -harbisjands.

      I could perhaps help you with what you want to know about some gothic
      nouns etc. But is it any special you want to learn?

      The most common form to greet is to say "hails" and follow by dative,
      e.g. Hails allaim (Hello all)

      Another usefull one is: Goleins, which you can make plural goleineis,
      and then add fram *your name in genitive*.
      E.g.

      Goleineis fram Frithureikis.

      means

      Greetings from Fredrik

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Pablo" <pittaluga@...> wrote:

      > Hello Fredrik,
      >
      > Thanks a lot for your mail and explanations. You got what I meant,
      I love to see
      > and detect similarities between languages, and their influence on
      others. It's a
      > hobby that's growing I guess. But your examples were quite good as
      to picture
      > the whole thing.
      >
      > Here in the Argentine, where we speak a particular medieval-like
      Spanish dialect,
      > heavily influenced mostly by Italian and to a lesser extent
      indigenous and English
      > expressions, such words are not that uncommon. "Alevoso" is used
      exactly as to
      > depict an abusive situation, while "escanciar" is less often heard,
      but as it has
      > been narrowed enough to mean only "whisky pouring into a glass", I
      find it logical
      > to come from Gothic! Such knowledge of yours tells me that your
      Spanish
      > studies have gone quite beyond the basics. Regarding guante, well,
      both examples
      > match. I'd say anyway is a French loanword, just like "reloj"
      (horloge,
      > "clock/watch").
      >
      > Regarding Gutiska Rada (right?), I'd love to receive some basic
      guidelines for
      > Gothic expressions, such as common nouns, salutations, etc. And as
      to finish:
      > What's Gothic for Paul? Could you also translate the
      adjective "grape-picker"
      > (which happens to be my family name in Genoese)? Thanks a lot in
      advance.

      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Pablo
      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi!
      > >
      > > I'm sorry but I didn't get exactly what you meant but since I've
      > > studied spanish have I noticed the gothic influence in it.
      > > Sure is that gothic hadn't any great influence, arabic had way
      more.
      > > But there are a few words in spanish from gothic origin.
      > > And as you mention also a few names.
      > > Among those I would add Alafuns/Alfonso.
      > >
      > > A word such as alevoso is most probably from gothic, cf. the verb
      > > lewjan = betray. And the verb escanciar (which I guess only exist
      in
      > > some dialects of spanish) comes from gothic skagkjan.
      > > But about the word guante (cognate to swedish vante) I'm not sure.
      > > Is it from gothic or is it a earlier loan from another germanic
      > > language. The same word occur in italian as guanto and french as
      gant.
      > > The portuguese word luva could probably come from gothic glofa
      > > (cognate to english glove), with the same meaning.
      > >
      > > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Pablo" <pittaluga@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello all,
      > > >
      > > > My name's Pablo, and I'm from Argentina. I'm a PR & Training
      man,
      > > having
      > > > Germanic languages as a hobby and interest.
      > > >
      > > > I've seen Gothic pages where was depicted as the missing link
      for
      > > Germanic
      > > > reconstruction, and observing its vocabulary noted that goes
      > > halfway Germanic
      > > > halfway Latin –due to simultaneous existence I guess-,
      i.e. "ahwa"
      > > (water),
      > > > "idjja" (past participle of go, quite similar to
      Spanish "ido"). My
      > > mother tongue is
      > > > Spanish, a language that was quite influenced by Visigoth from
      AD
      > > 300 to AD
      > > > 700, roughly the Visigoth rule in Spain. But even is Spanish
      > > language studies
      > > > Visigoth is kind of ignored. You can see the traces in Fernando
      > > (Ferdinand),
      > > > Rodrigo (Roderick), et cetera.
      > > >
      > > > I'd love to share thoughts and points of view on Gothic with
      you
      > > all.
      > > >
      > > > Best,
      > > >
      > > > Pablo

    • Friþureiks
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 22, 2009
        Hi!
        This comes very late but I answer anyway.
        I think it would be better with frijaba instead of frije.
        The word for life is libains (sf) if i'm not totaly wrong.
        I don't know if giban takes any special case but i'd guess it should be accusative, hence "Ik giba frijaba libain meina" (if dative: libainai meinai)