Re: crimean gothic

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
      I think it's a little fuzzy about pronunciation of former b, d and g
      initially in crimean gothic.

      Some times they seem to remain but other times they seem to become
      unvoiced.

      Since it seems to be as aspiration vanished from crimean gothic as in
      ano instead of hano, I guess b,d,g also were unaspirated.
      And because of that they could have been pronounced very similar to
      the unvoiced p,t,k in some positions and therefor mistaken for such
      consonants by Busbecq.

      If this is so there's no need for any explanation why inital b
      remains befor consonant in bruder but not in plut. The reason could
      just be that it sounds more as p than b befor l to some one who is
      not used to unaspirated b,d,g.

      And hence would I suppose it would be better to keep b,d,g in writing
      even when Busbecq has written otherwise.
      plut should then be blut and kriten (busbecq's eriten or criten)
      which probably had a long i should be greiten (using biblical ei for
      long i).