      From: "David Kiltz" <derdron@...>
      To: <gothic-l@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 11:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Re: a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

      On 28.08.2005, at 06:25, Le Bateman wrote:

      > Isn't that form guð instead of guþ? Grimm seemed to think it was.
      > He said
      > the Goths dereived their name from guð. Which is the word for God.
      > Le

      There is no ð in Gothic. At least, there is no special sign for it.
      The question of _grammatischer Wechsel_ (Verner's Law) is somewhat
      disputed. At any rate, Gothic shows the (most probably) voiceless
      interdental spirant þ. Grimm would refer to the Proto-Germanic form.

      David

      P.S. Could you give the reference, please ? That is, which of the
      Brüder Grimm and where it is said, so I can check it ? Thanks !

      You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a blank email
      to <gothic-l-unsubscribe@egroups.com>.
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic