11094Re: [gothic-l] Translating Shakespeare

  • OSCAR HERRE
    Oct 22, 2013
      tho fawaizo mannan......fawa being few and fawaizo being fewer......tho batistaizo faur miklisitha dils ist.....the greater the share of glory...

      From: "anheropl0x@..." <anheropl0x@...>
      To: gothic-l@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:25 AM
      Subject: [gothic-l] Translating Shakespeare

      So for a challenge I decided to translate the St. Crispin's day speech (please refrain from telling me how fey it is to do so) and I'm quite pleased with what I have so far. But I ask you, the line "The fewer men, the greater the share of glory" is slightly troubling. I can not shake the feeling that Gothic has a peculiar way of saying "the X, the Y" like this. I also am unsure how to render "fewer". Any insight would be much appreciated!
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic