11080RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Re: Gothic word for "girl"...?

  • ingemarn2000
    Sep 7, 2013
      And yes, as remarked in another answer, also fidel, tied with conviction to a person or a case, a pesron being married   and not infidel - huld och trogen.

      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, <gothic-l@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hellquist says about Sw. 'huld': Icl.hollr, Da. huld, Goth. hulþs, OSax., OHG,German, A-Sax. hold from Gmc.*hulþa-; disputed origin;... possibly 'inclined, disposed, willing'.

      If so it could of course describe somebody, boy  or girl feeling mutual attraction but it never could  mean boy or girl specificially. Normally huld  in Sw. means an attractive and soft person, normally a girl.

      Any help with that?

      Ingemar

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, <gothic-l@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      A list of neologisms I just ran across suggests hultha/hultho (hulþa/hulþo) for boyfriend/girlfriend, I couldn't help wonder where this reconstruction is from, what the possible hypothetical etymology the writer was suggesting and what anyone's thoughts were on the neologism?

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, <gothic-l@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Mö, Hellquist etym. ordbok: from Icl.maer,ack. mey, no. møy, Gotl.dialect mÃ¥j, da. mø,Goth.mawi (gen.maujos); from PtGm.mawi of *mazwi- with fem.suffi i till PtGm. *mazu=Goth. magus, OS. magu... Ingemar --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, <underwoodjustine@...> wrote: Is mö related at all to mawi?   They seem like possible cognates? --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com , <ingemar@...> wrote: Hi,

      There is a similar word in ON and also modern Nordic for an umarried woman, originally also a virgin, who is called a 'mö', if young she is a 'ungmö'.

      Ingemar

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com , "Edmund" <edmundfairfax@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Justine,
      > >
      > > The Gothic word for girl is 'mawi' (fem. ja-stem). There is also one instance of the diminutive 'mawilo' (fem. n-stem) 'little girl'. The latter is kin to Old English 'meowle' ('little girl'). According to Lehmann's etymological dictionary, 'mawi' appears to descend from an earlier unattested *'magwi', a derivative of 'magus' ('boy'), with the loss of the 'g'. You may find it interesting to know that the onomastic prefix 'Mac' in such Scottish names as MacDonald, MacDougal, which means 'son of', is cognate with the Gothic word.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic