11078RE: Final -t in preterite 3rd sng.?

  • edmundfairfax
    Sep 7, 2013

      Dear Justine,

      The expected third-person singular preterite indicative form of 'beitan' ('to bite') is 'bait'. The form 'baith' is the expected 3.p.sg.pret.indic. of 'beidan' ('to wait'). Neither form, however, is extant.

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, <gothic-l@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have been unable to find information on this in Bennett so I thought I could voice my question to the group:  In verbs such as "beitan" (to bite) I am finding that Verbix is rendering the present indicative 3rd person singular as "baiþ" (baith) see link:

      Whereas, David Salo's lessons are rendering it "bait" (the final -th is just -t) see:

      While I don't say "it bit" often I am hopeing someone can shed some light on this.  Bennett only mentions briefly on page 17 of "An Introduction to the Gothic Language" that final -d becomes -þ (thorn, th) but no mention of final -t changing.  Does Verbix have it wrong here, or know something that the others do not?

      Apologies if this seems a small and insignificant conversation topic, but these details are important to a newbie hoping to get it right...  :)

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic