Re: [Golf ball typewriter shop] Re: Rv: Bristol wrenches

  • Ron Yost
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2012
      New member here. I'm very happy to finally be a member, as I've gained a lot of knowledge from the group's archives..even given the limitations of Yahoo's search function. A BIG Thank You to all who have the experience and knowledge for sharing it!

      Recently, I was lucky to find a fairly complete original IBM Selectric CE toolkit. I know nothing of its provenance, unfortunately. I asked the seller, but they either didn't know or didn't want to tell me more about it.

      Anyhow, poked-down into the top edge of the removeable tool holder panel in the top of the case are four Bristol wrenches. Though there are many other Bristol wrenches in a cloth pouch in the case, I assume the four in the top were the most frequently used by the person(s) who used the toolkit at the time.

      All four are 6-flute. Their major diameters = .048", .060", .072" and .096". All are 'long' wrenches, and the .096" one has a 1"-long 'short' end.

      Using a loupe, I found the .072" wrench has the most wear on both its short and long ends. The other three show a little wear on only their long ends. This may not mean much, but I think it's interesting. :)

      Again, thank you for allowing me to join!

      Ron Yost
    • albalate98
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
        --- In golfballtypewritershop@yahoogroups.com, Jose Sender Sanjuan <albalate98@...> wrote:

        > Hi good morning. Just coming back for a relaxation week in a spa at the north of the country were I am living Spain, as John assumed correctly because I am spaniard. Y have just ordered from E-Bay the Bristol wrenches he mentionned since the set includes the four 6-flute that Ron found out are the more frequently used looking at the wear on them. Good deduction Ron!

        As soon as I will receive the tools I will start to clean, oiled ad made the adjustments to solve some minor problems, or at least I hope they are minor.

        Thankyou all for your informations.

        Regards.