Beginner question

  • micheal_jor
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I'd like to build an old-style Logo turtle for use with MSW Logo or
      some other similar Logo. Actually, I will be helping a pre-teen boy
      build the turtle. Basic plan is for:
      - Tri-wheeled turtle device controlled from a Logo package (MSW is
      the only one we've tried but another would probably do as well)
      - Turtle<->PC link would be "always on" via a wireless link (no
      cables). Cables are fine if wireless isn't possible.
      - Rechargable AA batteries as source of power
      - An offline-mode where once programmed, the turtle can go off and
      do things as instructed (this can be a separate turtle if need be).

      I am new to both the GoGo board and designing/building robots (but not
      to soldering etc). I would be grateful for answers to the following
      and, for advice on how to complete my project:

      1. Is the GoGo board suitable for this project?.
      2. How do I go from the board to a working turtle? (I presume I'm
      going to need to read articles and perhaps buy some books too but,
      which ones?)
      3. Has anyone here done anything similar before?. Is there a web page
      that describes such a project?

      Cheers,

      Micheal
    • Arnan (Roger) Sipitakiat
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Micheal,

        It sounds like an interesting project you are thinking of doing.

        > 1. Is the GoGo board suitable for this project?.

        The GoGo board can do everything you want except the wireless part. It
        requires a serial cable to work during live control. Other tools you
        can use include the LEGO Mindstorms kit or the Handy Cricket
        (www.handyboard.com/cricket). None have wireless though. But I can
        imagine hacking a cheap RC car controller for this purpose.

        > 2. How do I go from the board to a working turtle? (I presume I'm
        > going to need to read articles and perhaps buy some books too but,
        > which ones?)

        There are many books out there about how to do basic robotics both
        using LEGO and other materials. For example

        Robotic Explorations: An Introduction to Engineering Through Design
        by Fred G. Martin

        > 3. Has anyone here done anything similar before?. Is there a web page
        > that describes such a project?

        I'm sure this project has been done before using LEGO Mindstorms. I'm
        not sure if there is a web page describing it. Here's a site with lots
        of links:

        http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/

        I think a nice start is to get some materials and start to play with
        motors and wheels (assuming you have a gogoboard, cricket, or Lego RCX
        with which you control the motor). I find Tamiya parts very useful and
        cheaper than many other alternatives. This site has a good catalog

        http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/x_tam.htm

        Hope this helps,
        -Roger.

        On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:15:29 -0000, micheal_jor <open.zone@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'd like to build an old-style Logo turtle for use with MSW Logo or
        > some other similar Logo. Actually, I will be helping a pre-teen boy
        > build the turtle. Basic plan is for:
        > - Tri-wheeled turtle device controlled from a Logo package (MSW is
        > the only one we've tried but another would probably do as well)
        > - Turtle<->PC link would be "always on" via a wireless link (no
        > cables). Cables are fine if wireless isn't possible.
        > - Rechargable AA batteries as source of power
        > - An offline-mode where once programmed, the turtle can go off and
        > do things as instructed (this can be a separate turtle if need be).
        >
        > I am new to both the GoGo board and designing/building robots (but not
        > to soldering etc). I would be grateful for answers to the following
        > and, for advice on how to complete my project:
        >
        > 1. Is the GoGo board suitable for this project?.
        > 2. How do I go from the board to a working turtle? (I presume I'm
        > going to need to read articles and perhaps buy some books too but,
        > which ones?)
        > 3. Has anyone here done anything similar before?. Is there a web page
        > that describes such a project?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Micheal
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        =================================
        Arnan (Roger) Sipitakiat

        Future of Learning Group, MIT Media Lab
        E15-443c, 20 Ames St.
        Cambridge, MA, 02139
        Tel. (617) 253-2041
        =================================
      • micheal_jor
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
          --- In gogoboard@yahoogroups.com, "Arnan (Roger) Sipitakiat"
          <arnans@m...> wrote:
          > Hi Micheal,
          >
          > It sounds like an interesting project you are thinking of doing.
          >
          > > 1. Is the GoGo board suitable for this project?.
          >
          > The GoGo board can do everything you want except the wireless part. It
          > requires a serial cable to work during live control. Other tools you
          > can use include the LEGO Mindstorms kit or the Handy Cricket
          > (www.handyboard.com/cricket). None have wireless though. But I can
          > imagine hacking a cheap RC car controller for this purpose.

          a. Can you give a quick overview of hacking an RC car controller please?.
          b. Which car controller would you recommend hacking for our purposes?.

          > > 2. How do I go from the board to a working turtle? (I presume I'm
          > > going to need to read articles and perhaps buy some books too but,
          > > which ones?)
          >
          > There are many books out there about how to do basic robotics both
          > using LEGO and other materials. For example
          >
          > Robotic Explorations: An Introduction to Engineering Through Design
          > by Fred G. Martin

          I've had a quick look at this online. It seems particular to the Lego
          toolkit. I'm off to a bookshop later so I can see if it teaches
          concepts independent of the Lego stuff.

          Thanks.

          > I think a nice start is to get some materials and start to play with
          > motors and wheels (assuming you have a gogoboard, cricket, or Lego RCX
          > with which you control the motor). I find Tamiya parts very useful and
          > cheaper than many other alternatives. This site has a good catalog
          >
          > http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/x_tam.htm

          Thanks, I'll look into the Tamiya parts.

          Cheers,

          Micheal
        • micheal_jor
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
            <arnans@m...> wrote:

            > > 3. Has anyone here done anything similar before?. Is there a web page
            > > that describes such a project?

            > I think a nice start is to get some materials and start to play with
            > motors and wheels (assuming you have a gogoboard, cricket, or Lego RCX
            > with which you control the motor). I find Tamiya parts very useful and
            > cheaper than many other alternatives. This site has a good catalog
            >
            > http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/x_tam.htm

            Am I crazy for thinking I can use this as the basis of the turtle.
            Just add on the GoGo board somehow and get it to control the wheel and
            stuff.

            http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam70068.htm

            Cheers,

            Micheal
          • Susan M
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
              Re: the wall hugging mouse...
              Not crazy, Michael, but there are better options to hack. I'll get back
              with you.
              Susan