Gobo Eiffel compiler: alpha version in CVS

  • Eric Bezault
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm happy to announce that the Gobo Eiffel compiler is now
      able to compile all Eiffel code contained in Gobo CVS. I
      wrote the first lines of the doc:

      http://gobo-eiffel.sourceforge.net/gec/index.html

      which contains a non-exhaustive list of functionalities
      and Eiffel constructs not implemented yet:

      http://gobo-eiffel.sourceforge.net/gec/limitations.html
      http://gobo-eiffel.sourceforge.net/gec/future.html

      gec has already been tested on a handful of platforms:

      http://gobo-eiffel.sourceforge.net/gec/platforms.html

      At this stage I don't ask you yet to try gec on all possible
      Eiffel classes and programs that you can find on your computer
      (some missing functionalities need to be implemented in gec
      first). But what would be very useful would be that some of
      you try to compile the Eiffel code contained in Gobo CVS
      on your platform using your back-end C compiler.
      Instructions are given at the end of this page:

      http://gobo-eiffel.sourceforge.net/gec/platforms.html

      Note that the C files contained in $GOBO/work/bootstrap/
      are now generated with gec. Also note that I commented out
      the '-O2' C flag for GCC because it was way too slow on
      the computers provided by SourceForge's Compile Farm.
      Finally, depending on the resources available on your
      computer, gec or the back-end C compiler may have trouble
      in trying to compile gexslt or some test cases exercising
      its code. If this happens you can just comment out the
      corresponding line in the build file.

      Enjoy.

      --
      Eric Bezault