RE: [gobagroup] Re: Digest Number 1188

  • Rebecca Russell
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 25, 2009
      Thanks Michael

      Oh I plan on riding any sunny day no snow and ice that I can. I decided to put the cleats up till I get use to changing gears and the bike - got the winter warmers to assist to keep me warm - I never ride with out the helmet.

      Thanks

      Rebecca

      To: gobagroup@yahoogroups.com
      From: mueller74us@...
      Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:53:07 +0000
      Subject: [gobagroup] Re: Digest Number 1188

      --- In gobagroup@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Russell <rarswampcollie@...> wrote:

      I am still having issues with the cleats - but hopefilly next spring I will be able to use them with out matching Knees. : ) >

      Ditch the cleats for now. I realize that someone told you that you have to have them for "greater efficiency" or "30% More Power!!" but it's not true and you can ride just as well using shoes you are comfortable with on flat platform pedals. Also good for winter riding with warm boots. You want to concentrate on learning gear shifting on hills, not how to uncleat your feet so you don't fall over.

      And don't wait until spring to ride. Any sunny day just dress up in your regular winter clothes, add a helmet, and go ride twenty miles.

      Michael Kahrl

    • Sally Moran
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 25, 2009
        I remember you now...took awhile to jog my memory

        From: moransally@...
        Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:19:41 -0800

        Rebecca, I live on the Lisbon trail, if you ever need a ride partner stop and see me, "The Seat Weaver".. mile post 2.24
        Ride Safe
        Sally

        From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:25:18 +0000

              Rebecca,

        Hills are intimidating to new cyclists, but many cyclists learn to love them after a year or two. They get you out of the wind, and are very scenic. They also give you a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.

        Many people on GOBA walk lots of hills. If you are in reasonable shape, and can put in the training time, I'd say "Go for it!".

        From what I remember of the 2001 route in that area, it wasn't non-stop hills. The day we left Marietta on our way to New Lexington, we rode for 25 miles or so on relatively flat roads, before turning left and climbing a few steep hills as we left the river valley. After we topped the hills, we rode on a plateau for a while, coming to a Mennonite farm where the kids were selling lemonade. As dozens of riders relaxed in the yard and sipped lemonade, a large tanker truck pulled up and collected milk from the barn.

        Dan, aka Tamale-Pop

        --- In gobagroup@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Russell <rarswampcollie@...> wrote:

        > thanks new to cycling just started in end of july on very old schwinn.  I would like to go not sure if I will be able to climb the hills.  Just purchased a new Madone 5.1 wsd carbon, in oct have only gotten to ride it a few miles.

      • onyaleft9
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 25, 2009
          Michael, I understand that some folks have trouble with the cleats but being connected to my pedals is one of the best improvements that I ever made to my biking. I got them because I was riding up a steep hill one rainy day in my tennis shoes and my foot slipped off the pedal. Needless to say, the horizontal tube was not my friend. I crashed big time.

          Since then, I have fallen a few times because I couldn't get "unclicked" in time but it was always a gentle fall that just brought laughs.

          I don't use them because of increased power, etc. I just feel more secure.

          Onyaleft