Re: [gobagroup] Re: Double or Triple Chain Ring?

  • Robert Gotsch
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
      Thanks Dave for the input. I guess the LeMond stays home, and I'll bring the cross bike.

      Dave <nitemoves60@...> wrote:--- In gobagroup@yahoogroups.com, "the_gotsch_family"
      <the_gotsch_family@y...> wrote:
      > Question, will this years ride require a double or triple chain
      ring?
      > Will I have problems with using a LeMond with only 2 rings?

      The answer is the same as Bob Dole said when a reporter
      asked, "Boxers or briefs?" His supposed reply: "Depends."

      The territory is hilly enough for some folks to want a triple. But
      I know a guy who did the Columbus Fall Challenge (CFC) on a heavy
      single speed bike with a coaster brake. So it depends on the engine
      (you) and your preferences. You would not likely have to walk a
      hill with a triple.

      If you don't have a triple you may alternately stand and sit,
      especially on a longer hill. Sometimes you can shift to a higher
      gear when standing. The main trick is to keep pedal cadence high
      enough (but not too high when standing) to avoid damage to the
      knees.

      It also depends on the size of your smaller ring on a double. Some
      bikes have a too-large smaller ring for hilly roads. I once had one
      with 52-48, which was barely noticeable when you shifted. My next
      bike had 52-44, which was better, but I swapped to 52-40, which was
      much better for hills. I think I may have walked a couple of hills
      with that one, but not many.

      I now have a triple, but I don't use "granny" all that often. But
      it's sure nice to have on killer hills like Reynolds Rd. (Utica) and
      Stringtown, Revenge, and Savage (Lancaster).

      Dave (BigLotsBear)

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
        > I now have a triple, but I don't use "granny" all that often. But
        > it's sure nice to have on killer hills like Reynolds Rd. (Utica)
        and
        > Stringtown, Revenge, and Savage (Lancaster).
        >
        > Dave (BigLotsBear)

        Add Beck's Knob and Christmas Rock to the Lancaster hills.

        I neglected to mention that I added the third chain ring to the
        original double on my older Canondale. It already had the mounting
        holes for it and I found the small ring (28, I think) at a bike shop
        for $5, plus another dollar or so for the bolts. I actually should
        have changed the bottom bracket, but it works. I eventually changed
        the derailleur as the original double wouldn't reliably shift into
        granny when I needed it.

        If you have a 44 or larger small ring on a double, changing to a
        smaller ring (40) shouldn't be a problem and will make a world of
        difference. The size should be stamped on the ring, but if you
        can't find it, just count the teeth. The worst problem might be
        having to shorten the chain if the derailleur comes up too high when
        you're in the smallest cog. (You shouldn't ride in this gear
        anyway.)

        Or just use Tamale Pop's free suggestion: walk the hill.

        Dave, BLB