Re: HELP!!!! Need some info

  • Tindall
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2004
      --- In gobagroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jay and Amy"
      <swingersjayamy@y...> wrote:
      > Hey all I am riding on my first GOBA trip this year and have a few
      > questions for you all. One, on average how much extra spending
      cash
      > should I bring. Two, will there be snack stops for free of charge
      > put on by the GOBA? The info packet really didnt mention much.
      Also
      > will a rubbermade style trunk be ok to pack all my gear and be
      > loaded on the trucks?
      >

      > Thanks for the help

      lol, the one time i unloadedd the trucks, we all where accualy
      having a contest to see who could throw the bag the farthest, lol.

      Also, I think we had a trash bag slpit open on us. I got My bags at
      walmart, I got this big black diffle, and it was like 10 bucks, It
      has held up the past 3 goba's i think? But i can't try it on this one
    • Gobagirl
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2004
        If you can believe it, we bought our one duffel bag for the very first GOBA
        and are still using it! Had to have it patched - hole wore through it from
        dragging it all these years, but other than that it's still going strong!
        Not trying to be malicious, but it was always funny to see people who
        thought they could use garbage cans and plastic bags, and expect their stuff
        to remain intact. Usually only takes one GOBA to figure it out. And I've
        learned a lot on GOBA as well, don't get me wrong.

        We were victims of the storm in New Philly (the first time we stayed there
        on a GOBA - forget the year) and we were silly enough to not stake the rain
        fly down well enough, and when the severe storm hit, ended up with about 6
        inches of water in the tent. THAT was a fun day. Everything we owned was
        soaked. But..... only had to make that mistake once, know what I mean?
        <grin>

        Lisa

        > > Hey all I am riding on my first GOBA trip this year and have a few
        > > questions for you all. One, on average how much extra spending
        > cash
        > > should I bring. Two, will there be snack stops for free of charge
        > > put on by the GOBA? The info packet really didnt mention much.
        > Also
        > > will a rubbermade style trunk be ok to pack all my gear and be
        > > loaded on the trucks?
        > >

        > > Thanks for the help
        >
        > lol, the one time i unloadedd the trucks, we all where accualy
        > having a contest to see who could throw the bag the farthest, lol.
        >

        > Also, I think we had a trash bag slpit open on us. I got My bags at
        > walmart, I got this big black diffle, and it was like 10 bucks, It
        > has held up the past 3 goba's i think? But i can't try it on this one
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tindall
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2004
          I forget the name of the town, but this year, we camped at a place
          (had a pond in the center) and right when i got our bags over, and
          laied out the tent to get ready to put it up, we got a downpour, I
          coverd the bages with the rain fly, and started setting up the tent,
          and naturlay, as soon as i was done, it quit raining, only 6 inches
          of water in it, I tilted it over, and drained it out bags where
          soaked though. I fealt bad for the people who didn't get their stuff
          from the trucks yet, cuz they had all their bags sitting in a puddle
          of water.

          --- In gobagroup@yahoogroups.com, "Gobagirl" <lkg1990@a...> wrote:
          > Oooh, good questions! I've done 14 GOBAs. Some hints:
          >
          > No Rubbermaid - it is unwieldy and may fall apart before the week
          is over.
          > Bags are not treated gently. I've seen many plastic containers
          split and
          > the contents spilled. I recommend the biggest, heaviest duty
          canvas duffel
          > bag you can find - an Army/Navy store is a good place to look.
          >
          > Figure on paying for all food and drink. I bring at least $500 -
          $600 for
          > two people - that gives plenty for food, souveniers, admission to
          > attractions, etc.
          >
          > Good luck and have fun!!
          >
          > Lisa

        • Gobagirl
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2004
            Yeah - something similar happened on the first GOBA. We hit Wilmington, and
            there had been a big storm. The bags had been considerately placed under
            large tarps by the luggage people (GOBA was only 1400 people at that time)
            but unfortunately the water ran under the tarps and soaked everything. What
            a mess!

            Lisa