Losing Gold - MondayMuse(3 Oct’11)

  • Pravin Sabnis
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011
      MONDAY MUSE (3 October 2011)

      LOSING GOLD

      My friend, Avinash Tavares shared a tragic scene seen on a televised Talent
      show. A couple of kids had won the second place but there was no trace of a
      smile on their faces. Their parents were weeping bitterly. Avinash raised
      pertinent queries: Whither sense of achievement?
      Whither sense of gratitude towards all those who helped the kids rise to such a
      performance?

      In an increasingly competitive world, in the quest to be better,
      too many of us are insisting on nothing but the best. When we frown upon even
      second best positions, imagine our disdain for those that come last! All this
      is in sync with the media catchphrase about
      those who win second position: ‘You don’t win silver, you lose gold’

      A real sense of achievement has to flow from the
      satisfaction of sincere endeavours and not from the vagaries of results. The very
      act of taking on a challenge has to be, by itself, a cause for celebration. An attitude
      of gratitude is the only fair return to all those who help in different ways
      from guiding, training, facilitating... including those who are audience.

      More important than winning is to have a winner’s attitude that
      comes from celebrating efforts and sportsmanship. The score should not be
      allowed to douse passion. Eventually, it is never about winning or losing
      gold... we need to be better at ensuring that every failure turns into a
      stepping stone to success. After all, it is only true sportsmanship and earnest
      efforts that wins hearts of others... and ours too!

      Losing gold
      does not deserve despair and misery...
      Let’s BE
      BETTER at celebrating golden efforts truly!

      - Pravin K. Sabnis
      Goa, India.

      PRAVIN
      SABNIS conducts UNLEARNING UNLIMITED workshops for corporate & other teams.
      Since 2008, he writes MONDAY MUSE based on the JCI theme – BE BETTER. Earlier
      it was inspired by JCI-India’s National President’s theme: Touch To Transform
      (2004), We Are The Future (2005), Speak Through Action (2006), Develop New
      Dimensions (2007)

      ---- Pravin K. Sabnis
      visit: www.unlearningunlimited.blogspot.com
      www.poems-pravinsabnis.blogspot.com