The other side – monday muse (2Aug’10)

  • Pravin Sabnis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2010
      MONDAY MUSE (2 August 2010)

      THE OTHER SIDE

      Once, a wanderer came to
      the banks of a wide river. He wondered on ways to cross the broad barrier, but
      in vain. Just as he was about to turn back, he saw a Zen master on the other
      side of the river. He shouted out, ‘Sir, please tell me how to get to the other
      side of this river’? The monk promptly yelled back, ‘Young man, you are on the
      other side’.

      Like all Zen stories, this tale too holds multiple lessons.
      However, let’s consider it for the aspect of interpersonal skills. The two
      banks of the river represent two individual personalities that lie aligned
      parallel to each other. The river represents the space between the
      relationships.

      While we seek to travel the journey to the other side, it would be
      better to understand that our side too is the other side with regards to the
      person across. So getting to the other side necessarily includes connect with
      initiative on the side that one stands on. The same concept is articulated with
      great simplicity in the quote, ‘if it is to be, it is up to me!’

      More often than not, our closest friends are the ones where we take
      the initiative for maintaining and empowering the relationship. The onus of
      friendship cannot be on the other person. The responsibility lies with me to be
      better at doing everything necessary for my friend to see a friend on the other
      side… which is where I stand!

      to BE BETTER at connecting to the other
      side

      let’s do the needful, on the side that I
      reside!

      -
      Pravin K. Sabnis

      PRAVIN SABNIS
      conducts UNLEARNING UNLIMITED outbound workshops for corporate and other teams.
      MONDAY MUSE is based on JCI-India’s National President’s theme: Touch To
      Transform (2004), We Are The Future (2005), Speak Through Action (2006),
      Develop New Dimensions (2007) & the JCI theme – BE BETTER (2008 onwards).