Do we really care for our Soldiers?

  • gautamshankardas
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      I would like to describe an incident which happened a few days ago. My
      Jc colleagues and I were going to Kerela to attend a conference. We
      boarded the Train at Margao Station at 10.30 pm. After about an hours
      journey our train reached Karwar.

      At Karwar, a group of 300 jawans of Indian Army boarded the train. At
      the beginning it seemed that there would be a big chaos in the train
      as their tickets were not confirmed. But soon some of the jawans got
      some or the other place to sit, others used the passage.

      Since it was almost midnight and in the morning we had to attend the
      conference, most of my team members had already slept. I occupied my
      middle berth and was about to sleep. The lower berth was reserved for
      one of my colleagues. But when the jawans boarded the train, my
      colleague was not on his berth, so a jawan occupied the berth. I told
      the jawan that the berth was reserved for my colleague. The jawan
      very politely replied that when my colleague comes he will vacate the
      seat.

      Meanwhile I struck a conversation with the jawan. The jawans belonged
      to Madras Regiment of Indian Army and were based at Trivendrum. They
      had come to Karwar for a joint exercise with the Indian Navy. That
      night they were traveling back to their base camp. We also chatted
      about our families, native places, etc but I don't recollect those
      things right now.

      Anyway….after some time my colleague came and occupied his berth. The
      jawan left the seat occupied the passage below. The lights were put
      off, all went to sleep. Even I went to sleep. I had a nice sleep, woke
      up the next morning, fresh and energetic, ready for action. Some of
      the jawans were still in the passage. We got off the train at our station.

      Now….what is so special about this incident ??????????????

      Every night we can sleep peacefully at our house……….because of the
      jawans who protect our country's borders.

      Whenever there is a natural calamity …….it is the Indian Army jawan
      who comes to the rescue.

      Mumbai terror attacks ….. it was the Army Commandos who finished the
      terrorists.

      Even when a kid falls into a tube well we require the Indian Army Jawan.

      Each and every time it is the Indian Army Soldier who comes to our
      rescue. We have a peaceful life because they are ready sacrificing
      their lives for us.

      But what do we give them in return? We were not even ready to share
      our seats with them at night because next day we had to attend the
      most important conference of our lives. We could not sacrifice our one
      night sleep for them, while we expect them be at our service all the
      time.

      Forget sharing the seats, we don't even respect them. They are always
      looked at as some fanatics who are always ready to kill. Why is it so?

      We as Jaycees speak of being active citizens, etc, etc but when it
      comes to our duties we forget them very conveniently.

      In Jaycees we produce leaders and leaders should lead by example. But
      all the leaders in my team including me have forgotten these basic
      things.

      So what should have we done?

      Need opinion form you all.

      Thanks & Regards

      Jc Gautam Shankardas
      President – JCI Santa Inez.
    • Yogesh Kerkar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Dear Gautam,

        I understand that you are very emotional about this incident.....

        otherwise it would not have been botherring you for such long

        but let me tell you my dear friend that successful people are good at managing emotions, you are emotionally correct when your say that you sould have vacated your seat for the JAWAN but technically you are wrong as the JAWAN was travelling in the same train without having a proper reservation

        I got nothing against the JAWANS who travelled without proper confirmation, just imagine if you were an senior citizen or a handicapped, would you have felt the same... or rather would the JAWAN liked to take a seat sacrified by a senior citizen or a handicapped ?

        I carry the same respect to them as you but when it comes to the system none of us can overlook the same

        cause as jaycees believe that

        GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE OF LAWS RATHER THEN OF MEN

        I guess this should solve your confusion

        Jayceefully Yours
        Jc Yogesh Kerkark
        ZD - Business 09

        On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:15:55 +0530 wrote

      • Gautam Shankardas
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
          Dear Jc Yogesh,

          wellll…I never said about vacating the seat, I said about sharing the seat and
          sacrificing just one night sleep.

          And regarding emotions - its very true that leaders should control their
          emotions. But we often totally forget the emotion of gratitude. Isn't it?

          My question is that shouldn't we have gratitude towards our
          soldiers?

          We as civilians don't even have the slightest idea how
          difficult the life is at 45 degree celcius and -60 degree celcius.

          And why should we ever consider that we could have been senior citizens or
          physically handicapped etc. We are strong and young people. Its time we should
          stop giving excuses for not doing things.

          Welll….. right now……. I am not confused and thanks for your
          reply Yogesh.

          I hope to get more opinions from others too.

          Thanks & Regards

          Jc Gautam Shankardas.

> [...]

          >rescue. We have a peaceful life because they are ready sacrificing

          >their lives for us.

          >But what do we give them in return? We were not even ready to share

          >our seats with them at night because next day we had to attend the

          >most important conference of our lives. We could not sacrifice our one

          >night sleep for them, while we expect them be at our service all the

          >time.

          >Forget sharing the seats, we don't even respect them. They are always

          >looked at as some fanatics who are always ready to kill. Why is it so?

          >We as Jaycees speak of being active citizens, etc, etc but when it

          >comes to our duties we forget them very conveniently.

          >In Jaycees we produce leaders and leaders should lead by example. But

          >all the leaders in my team including me have forgotten these basic

        • Ramesh Naik
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
            Dear Gautam,
            I understand that, you realise the severeness the incident very late.

            I would have shared my seat with the JAWAN.

            There is no point in worring after the incident. Friend let me tell you one
            thing that

            ''Guilty people can live better life but living with guilty feeling is very
            difficult''.

            So, friend forget the incident & in future take care not repeat such things.

            Being a leader of jaycee movment you have many things to do, So don't

            get confused with the past. you have ample time to correct ur mistakes.

            You also have ample opportunity to travel, I m sure one day you will

            again come across the same situation. because such type of things are

            common in India. In the same way Indian Commando's have to wait more then

            four hours for flight in the Dehli Airport to fight against Mumbai Terror
            Attack.

            Indian Military is known for Diciplane, some time it fails to provide some

            facility to our JAWAN's.

            With this I hope you will come out of ur confussion.

            --
            Jc Ramesh Naik
            Nirman Constructions