MONDAY MUSE – 18 (1 May 2006)

  • Pravin Sabnis
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 12:54 AM
      PAPA DIDN’T JUST PREACH

      In 1999, a man changed the way I would celebrate my birthday. He died on that day!

      Constancio Athaide (or Papa as we all called him) was a friend, philosopher and guide to many of us. He was a Jaycee… a member of Junior Chamber International – a worldwide federation of young leaders and entrepreneurs. It is an organisation of young people who are between the age group of 18 to 40 years. Papa heard of Junior Chamber when the then National President of Indian Jaycees addressed a meeting. He was deeply impressed and inspired to start a chapter of Junior Chamber in his city, Mapusa. With missionary zeal, he got together a band of young dynamic persons in Mapusa.

      He was on the threshold of turning 40 years of age and it was but natural that he donned the leadership mantle as founder president. However, Papa pondered about claiming the opportunity for himself. He felt that if some one else was made the President, he could be the person who could be besides him to support him. His logic was that while he could not guarantee any body else’s full fledged commitment, he could certainly be the support that any President would require.

      For the next 28 years, Papa made an impact on the minds and hearts of Jaycees of not just, Mapusa city… not just Jaycees of Goa… but he made a deep impression on the organisation of Indian Jaycees. He was considered as the face of Goan Jaycees at the national level. He was a fine example of the precept that leadership was not only about position… leadership was actually about action. A person who never occupied the leadership chair, yet he captured the imagination and respect of scores of leaders who were inspired by his proactive and progressive actions. He didn’t just preach… He practiced what he preached! He is no more, yet he lives in our hearts as an inspirational example of an action-man!

      It does not suffice to have the leadership chair in your possession
      The chair is mere position; you must “speak through action”

      Regards
      Pravinda
      01 May 2006, Thekkady, Kerala.

      A life coach with a passion to connect people to their potential, Pravin Sabnis is based in Goa (India) and has conducted over 500 workshops for leading corporate and other groups. For UNLEARNING UNLIMITED workshops contact 9422640141 or e-mail: jcpravin@...

      jcpravin@...