Tsunami Update: by National President (Indian Jaycees) T V N Murthy

  • Sandeep Heble
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Thank you for your support and for extending a helping hand to
      Tsunami affected areas in coastal states India. One of the worst ever
      disasters of the last and this century struck parts of Asia in the
      form of the Tsunami in December last year. JCI India has formed a
      committee to work in the area. We have already distributed $ 48000
      worth relief material to affected families. The JCI Indian is
      committed to construct/renovate the School buildings. We are in touch
      with the administration body for the clearance. We will give you more
      details in a week's time.

      I had the privilege of being present at the site of some the worst
      hit parts of India barely 24 hours later. A quick survey revealed
      that while aid was pouring in from many parts of the globe and Jaycee
      chapters in the near by areas had begun a massive operation to
      provide rehabilitation; the survivors desperately needed mind
      strengthening.

      We learnt that most of the families after losing their dear ones lost
      hope on life and few attempted to commit suicide. Many children had
      become orphaned. All of them were shell shocked. Everyone was too
      busy giving them aid but there was no one to lend them strength, to
      listen to their tales of woe and console them in their sorrow.

      Acting quickly, 95 trainers of Indian Jaycees who could speak
      the regional language, met at Naiveli on the 16 of December. They
      underwent a crash course in counseling. A religious priest trained
      the trainers on how to approach this calamity as an act of God while
      a psychologist told them how they could help the families cope with
      the trauma.

      From the 17 onwards, all the 95 trainers have already spread to all
      the affected areas. They spend a full day with each affected family,
      interact with the adults, help them pour out their grief, play with
      the children, check if there are specific ways in which each family
      could be personally helped out.

      The trainers have helped to build bridges between the affected
      families and various agencies. In some cases our trainers are the
      only ones who have helped the families out through the counseling

      - T V N Murthy, 2005 National President, JCI India.

      Send your contributions to
      Indian Jaycees Charitable Trust A/c Tsunami Relief Fund
      National Secretariat, 2nd Floor Ami Kalash
      Ami Complex, IC Colony Road, Borivali (W)
      MUMBAI - 400 103 - India www.ijc.org.in
      Email; ijcns@... Tel: + 91 22 28912354 / 28913355
      OR National President T V N Murthy tvn@...