E-VOLVE E-Magazine of Margao Jaycees

  • vividh pawaskar
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      E-VOLVE

      Electronic Magazine
      Margao Jaycees(A Worldwide Federation of Young Leaders & Entrepreneurs) E-mail: margaojaycees@...
      Jc Vividh Pawaskar President 2005
      Ph: 2751290 Cell: 9822988918

      ISSUE:FIRST

      November 2004

      CONTENTS

      1) COMPETITION: BROCHURE DESIGNING

      2) invitation for installation

      3) MARGAO JAYCEES cgb 2005

      4) TEN TRAITS TO A PLEASING PERSONALITY

      5) EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE

      6) HOW TO BE A BETTER FRIEND

      7) news FLASH: (a) Cultural Exchange Program with Bangalore Silicon Valley Jaycees (b) presidents’ meet WITH ZGB (c) CHILDREN’S DAY CELEBRATION (d) TULSI VIVAH CELEBRATION

      8) ANNOUNCEMENT: MARGAO JAYCEES INTO VITRUAL TWINNING

      9) HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS

      10) 10 Steps to Terrific Training Programs

      11) Entrepreneur? You?

      12) 10 Tips for Successful Public Speaking

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      COMPETITION
      Jaycee Brochure Designing

      Dear Jaycees,

      Promoting JAYCEES successfully as a brand is essential for inviting the vast majority to be a part of the Jaycee Family and avail the opportunities available for Individual Development, Community Development, Business, LOM & International Relations.

      We are all proud to be Jaycees. Let us, therefore, put our creative energies together to increase our strength and market our beautiful organization to ultimately transform the lives of those around us.

      You are requested to participate in ‘Brochure Designing Competition’ for inviting others to join the Jaycee Movement. There are no rules only rewards in terms of self-satisfaction for knowing that you do know your organization well and can promote it to the best of your capabilities.

      So Vibrant Jaycees of all Chapters get creative, and dish out the best brochure (and who knows you may end up with a prize…).

      Your Brochures should reach us by 25th January 2005.

      ELIGIBILITY: JAYCEES & NON-JAYCEES

      ONE ENTRY PER PARTICIPANT

      ONE CHAPTER CAN SEND AS MANY ENTRIES AS IT DESIRES

      ALL THE BEST!

      Jc Vividh Pawaskar President 2005 Jc Shashank Bane VP (LOM)

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      invitation

      Dear jaycees,

      you are invited for the installation ceremony of jc vividh pawaskar and his chapter governing board for 2005 on 19th december 2004 at sharp 4.00 pm in hotel woodlands, margao.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      MARGAO JAYCEES

      CHAPTER GOVERNING BOARD 2005

      Jc Vividh Pawaskar

      President

      E23 Sanchayani A. V. Co-op. Hsg. Society,

      Opp. Borkar Superstore, Vidyanagar, Margao-Goa

      Telefax: 0832-2751290 (M) 9822988918

      Date of Birth: 3rd May

      Jc Vasundharan Vasavan

      I.P.P.

      H. No. 998, Davorlim Housing Board,

      Rumdamol, Davorlim, Navelim-Goa.

      Ph: 2714751 (Res) 9850138881(M)

      Jc Shashank Bane

      Vice President (L.O.M.)

      T-6, Palacio Building, Gogol,

      Margao-Goa

      Ph: 2706215 (Res) 9822132736 (M)

      Jc Gururaj Raikar

      Vice President (Ind. Dev.)

      126/7, Vadamol, Shristhal,

      Canacona-Goa.

      Ph: 2643217 (Res) 9822121362 (M)

      Jc Dr Prashant Sangekar

      Vice President (Com. Dev.)

      F-14, The Orchids,

      Near Goa Bottling Company,

      Arlem, Raia-Goa

      Ph: 9850474234 (M)

      Jc Vinayak Bhujle

      Vice President (Business)

      H. No. 472/A, Shree Mahalsa Krupa, Near Maruti Mandir, Davorlim, PO Navelim, Margao-Goa.

      9890402146

      Jc Remediana Rodrigues

      Vice President (Internationalism)

      T/2/5, Greenhill Apartments,

      Borda, Margao

      Ph: 2735716 (Res) 9823187900 (M)

      Jc Samir Rajguru

      Secretary

      E-mail: rajguruassociates2yahoo.com

      Cell: 9422440737

      Ph: 2751402

      Jc Milind Desai

      Treasurer

      A/5, Postal Quarters, Dicarpali,

      Navelim, Margao-Goa.

      9422060078

      JAYCEERETTE WING

      Chairperson: Jctt. Harshal Pawaskar

      E23 Sanchayani Co-op. Hsg. Society,

      Vidyanagar, Margao-Goa

      Telefax: 0832-2751290

      JUNIOR JAYCEE WING

      Special Appointee

      Jc Rajesh Naik Gaonkar

      9326115067 (M)

      JUNIOR JAYCEE WING

      Chairperson
      Jr Jc Sabah Hussain
      Coordinator

      Jr. Jc. Radha Valaulikar

      Damodar (Science) HSS Wing
      Coordinator
      Jr. Jc. Shabnam Sheikh

      Damodar College Wing

      Coordinator

      Jr. Jc. Hemant Aiya

      Shree Mallikarjun College Wing

      Coordinator

      Jr. Jc. Mohommad Aatif Shaikh

      Agnel Polytechnic Wing

      Coordinator

      Jr. Jc. Deepti Nayak

      Chowgule HSS Wing

      E-mail:margaojaycees@...

      margaojaycees@...

      Fax: 0832-2751290

      Special Appointee

      Publicity

      Jc Nityanand Naik

      Lecturer in Konkani

      CES College, Cuncolim.

      9822486075 (M)

      Chapter Newsletter:

      PERSONALITY PLUS

      Chapter E-Magazine:

      E-VOLVE

      Special Appointee

      Teacher Empowerment Cell (TEC)

      Jc F M Nadaf

      Near St Annes School, Agalim, Margao

      09326136447 (M)

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      TEN TRAITS TO A PLEASING PERSONALITY

      PERSONALITY is the sum total of one’s mental, spiritual and physical habits that distinguishes him from others.

      Listed below are 10 traits or qualities vitally important to the development of our total personality. These are within the reach of the humblest person. They may be yours for a price. That is not unreasonable and that works no hardships on anybody. Use them in everyday experiences and grow daily in improvement of your lifestyle.

      1. Positive Mental Attitude:

      One may acquire a fair mental attitude on the positive side of the ledger with everyday relationships. To understand the role it plays in an individual’s life, consider the fact that it changes the expression of the face, the posture of the body, the tone of the voice and each word that is spoken. Study your associates and determine the nature of the emotions by them.

      Psychologists discovered long ago that every place of business, every home, every workshop and everywhere people associate regularly, has its own distinct personality; a vibration tempo which reflects the dominating mental attitude of those who congregate there. Every brain is both a broadcasting and receiving station for thoughts and operated through the principle of telepathy. A disagreeable attitude does more than just disturb others; it dampens enthusiasm, curtails personal initiative, diminishes self-control, subdues the imagination, destroys friendly co-operation and makes one sullen and intolerant. A Positive Mental Attitude has just the opposite effect.

      2. Flexibility of Mind:

      Flexibility is the ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances without losing composure. A man with a flexible disposition can harmonise quickly wit the attitude of each person he contacts. The person with a positive mental attitude will have no difficulty in maintaining flexibility of personality because the positive mind is under control and may be directed. Flexibility is required for leadership in business, industry or any other kind of supervisory position where success depends upon the cooperation of others.

      3. Sincerity in Purpose:

      This is one trait of personality for which no satisfactory substitute has been found. It reaches deeper into a human being than most qualities of personality. Sincerity, or the lack of it, writes itself indelibly into every word, act or deed. It reflects in one’s thoughts and is recognised by others.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE

      Emotion is feeling, reason a purely logical function. A harmonious blend of Emotions and Reason would guarantee a well-balanced personality.

      Emotional Intelligence means the skills that one requires for efficient living.

      EI refers to the ability to:

      (a) Set a goal in life;

      (b) Work towards achieving it;

      (c) Negotiate; and

      (d) Feel empathy for a fellow being.

      To become EI-wise develop the following aspects:

      v SELF-AWARENESS: Observe yourself and recognize your feelings; build a vocabulary for feelings; know the relationship between thoughts, feelings and reactions.

      v PERSONAL DECISION MAKING: Examine your actions and know their consequences; know if thought or feeling is ruling a decision; apply these insights to issues such as sex and drugs.

      v MANAGING FEELINGS: Monitor self-talk to catch negative messages such as internal put-downs; realize what is behind a feeling (e.g. The hurt that underlines anger); find ways to handle fears and anxieties, anger and sadness.

      v HANDLING STRESS: Learn the value of exercise, guided imagery and relaxation methods.

      v EMPATHY: Understand others’ feelings, concerns and their perspective; appreciate the difference in how people feel about things.

      v COMMUNICATION: Talk about feelings effectively, become a good listener and question-asker; distinguish between what someone does or says and your own reactions to it; send ‘I’ messages instead of blame.

      v SELF-DISCLOSURE: Value openness and build trust in a relationship; know when it is safe to risk talking about your private feelings.

      v INSIGHT: Identify patterns in your emotional life and reactions; recognize similar patterns in others.

      v SELF-ACCEPTANCE: Take pride and see yourself in a positive light; recognize your strengths and weaknesses; laugh at yourself!

      v PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY: Recognize the consequences of your decisions and actions, accept your feelings and moods, follow through with commitment (e.g. to studying).

      v ASSERTIVENESS: State your concerns and feelings without anger or passivity.

      v GROUP DYNAMICS: Cooperate; know when and how to lead, when to follow.

      v CONFLICT RESOLUTION: Fight fair; negotiate and compromise.

      CHARACTERISTICS OF HIGH EMOTINAL INTELLIGNECE:

      [ knowing one’s emotions

      [ managing emotions

      [ motivating oneself

      [ recognizing emotions in others

      [ handling relationships

      ARE YOU EMOTIONALLY INTELLIGENT?
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ HOW TO BE A BETTER FRIEND
      Being a friend isn't just something that we do. It's a skill that we can learn and improve upon. Here, eight ways to be a better friend.
      Number One: Like yourself
      The first step in having a good relationship with a friend is to have a good relationship with yourself. When we genuinely like ourselves, we become more attractive to other people. We have more to offer others because we are not constantly focused on our own image and reputation. We become better friends because we don't cling. We are secure enough to spend time with a friend because we want to, not because we need to. And relax--the journey to self-acceptance is life long. Practice it in small steps along the way.
      Number Two: Choose wisely
      Relationships among true friends take a steady dose of time and energy--two resources in limited supply for all of us. Identify the friends with whom you wish to create a closer bond. It's perfectly okay if not all of your acquaintances make the list. The closeness of your connections is far more important than the length of your guest lists.
      Number Three: Make the time
      Friends are important in many ways--so much so that these relationships often take on a life of their own. You owe it to yourself (and to your friends) to make these relationships a priority. Carve out some quality time for one another.
      Number Four: Make the first move
      This is where I have trouble, and I know I'm not alone. If you want to improve your relationships, put your fear of rejection aside and start taking more risks. Invite your friends to lunch. Organize a new playgroup. Invite them over for dinner. Too often, we fail to follow up with our friends. Don't miss out-just make the first phone call. Your friends are just as anxious to get together as you are.
      Number Five: The Golden Rule
      Treat your friends as you wish to be treated. Stated another way: "To have a friend, be a friend." Focus more on being interested than on being interesting. Be enthusiastic and energetic. Avoid complaining, gossiping, and criticizing.
      Number Six: Sweat the Small Stuff
      Make your friends feel significant by remembering small kindnesses. Notice her new haircut. Remember to ask about her mother-in-law's surgery. Send flowers or a simple email when you know she needs it most.
      Number Seven: Listen
      Good listeners are hard to find, and honing your skills can be a long-term project. A few tips:

      · Slow down. Try not to finish your friend's sentences. If you catch yourself planning your response while your friend is still talking, gently remind yourself to focus on the speaker.

      · Show her you are listening. Maintain eye contact. Offer nods and murmurs that indicate you understand her point of view.

      · Minimize distractions.

      · Ask questions.

      · Be careful with advice. Assume your friend wants to just vent her frustrations, not ask you for a plan of action. Avoid the phrase, "what you ought to do is..." Offer your opinion only if your friend specifically asks for it (and you believe she will benefit).
      Number Eight: Be loyal
      We all need someone in our corner. If your friend isn't there to defend herself against gossip or criticism, speak up, and know she would do the same for you.

      Eight Ways to Be a Better Friend Being a friend isn't just something that we do. It's a skill that we can learn and improve upon.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      NEWS FLASH: Cultural Exchange Program with Bangalore Silicon Valley Jaycees 3rd to 8th Nov. 2004

      This program was organized with the objective to initiate a ‘Dialogue Between Cultures’ of Goa and Karnataka State. The opportunity to experience, enjoy, understand the diverse cultural heritage of India would allow the pride of being an Indian to blossom in young adults and lead to greater patriotic fervor.

      The challenge for Participants of Silicon Valley Jaycees was to find a ‘Home away from Home’ in Goa through being responsible, extrovert, sharing experiences, respecting customs and traditions of others, display zeal for learning a different language, food habits & religious harmony that exists between Goans.

      Deepthi, Divya, R. Radha, R. Shruthi, M. Shwetha, M. Shwetha, S. Kavyashree, S. Kavitha, Pavan S. & Suhani B. S. alonwith Chapter President Prasanna Kumar and his Better Half, and Shekhar with his Better Half experienced the hospitality of Margao Jaycees, love of Members’ families, delicious cuisine, and visited places like beaches (as far as Calangute), Temples (Ramnathi, Shantadurga, Mangesh etc.) and Churches (From Holy Spirit, Margao to Bom Jesus, Old Goa), filled themselves with patriotic fervor on visiting Naval Museum at Dabolim, checked out Marmagoa Port & Goa Shipyard, danced into the sunset on Santa Monica, checked out historical sites, Menezes Braganza Mansion, Cota Mansion, Salaulim Dam, shopped for Cashews and other Goan specialties and lastly enthralled Goans with Bharatnatyam Performances, Dances, Skits, Dashavatar, tile-breaking by young martial artists witnessed by many dignitaries like ZVP Revansiddha, ZVP Siddarth Sakhardande, President Sarfraj of
      Muffudil Jaycees, President (Elect) Dalston from Chandor, President (Elect) Adwin Mascharenhas etc.

      ‘Though lands part bodies, hearts keep company’ was learnt through this experience which left everyone emotionally touched when the participants finally bade ‘Goodbye’.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      news: presidents’ meet WITH ZGB

      The Joint-Presidents Meet hosted by Borim Jaycees at IMA Hall, Ponda was attended by President Jc Vasundharan Vasavan and President (Elect) Jc Vividh Pawaskar.

      The experience was a novel, inspirational one.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      news Flash: children’s day celebration
      CHILDREN’S DAY was celebrated by Margao Jaycees by distributing sweets to slum children.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      news Flash: TULSI VIVAHA celebration
      TULSI VIVAH (WEDDING) was celebrated by Margao Jaycees by attending Tulsi Weddig Ceremony in Members’ homes.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      ANNOUNCEMENT
      MARGAO JAYCEES becomes the FIRST FROM ZONE XI to become a Member of the Largest Virtual Twinning Program in the World (Check out Junior Chamber International Website… Look under Twinning… and You, too, can become a Member and establish a relationship with Jaycees all around the world.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS

      10. Have a positive attitude: Be self-confident and not afraid to take risks. Be enthusiastic and positive, it works!

      9. Start a conversation: The best opening line is saying hello. Talk about the surroundings, ask a question, ask for help, state an opinion.

      8. Have fun: Be playful, light-hearted and spontaneous. Show your vulnerability.

      7. Use props: Never leave home without a prop. Props are natural conversation starters. They encourage conversation and others will be compelled to start talking to you. Great props include: dogs, kids, unusual jewelry, a fabulous scent, a sweatshirt with your favorite passion, interesting ties, hats, or an interesting book or newspaper.

      6. Be the host: Change your behavior from the role of guest to host. You are not the passive person in waiting, but rather the welcome committee.

      5. Make the first move: Move closer to the person you want to meet. Say hello!

      4. Listen: You have two ears and one mouth because you should listen twice as much as you speak. Listening is a true art. Other person will be drawn to you. Everyone loves to be heard.

      3. Eye contact: Make eye contact, but please look your partner in the eye gently (no more than 2-4 seconds) and then glance away. Don’t stare – it’s a turn off.

      2. Compliment: Compliment the one whom you want to befriend. The best compliments have the element of surprise. The other person will know that you really noticed them. Remember, your compliments must be honest, sincere and genuine. When you receive a compliment the best response is merely, Thank You!

      1. Smile: It is contagious. It will make you so much more approachable. A smile lights up your face and draws people to you. You will be a people magnet. Try it!

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      10 STEPS TO TERRIFIC TRAINNING PROGRAMS

      Developing training on specific processes or procedures in your company? Keep the following thoughts in mind as you do so will help you design a fun and effective program.

      1. Keep it 'lean and mean.'
      You want your training to be just long enough to teach the participants what they need to know, no longer or shorter than that. Figure out exactly what that information is and build your training course around that.

      2. Choose the best format to deliver the training.
      Can a simple 1-hour lecture do the job? Or do you need to record the class on videotape? Does it need to be 1-on-1 training or classroom training? For every different subject there's going to be a different need, so consider them all before choosing one.

      3. Remember different people learn different ways.
      Some people learn better by simply reading, others need to hear the information, many need visual examples, and most people need a variety of all of these in order to retain the information. As you create your class, figure out how to provide the same information in these different ways so that more people will get it.

      4. Make it interactive.
      The straight lecture-only type classes will rarely get the job done these days. The old pedagogical "I talk, you listen" style of teaching doesn't result in a lot of knowledge gain by the student. Work on exercises, drills, and role-plays that get the student involved in the class and help them learn by doing.

      5. Keep it light.
      In a classroom environment, humor almost always helps. People retain more and learn more if they are relaxed and having fun. Even the most serious training programs benefit from a good dose of humor. Just make sure it's appropriate.

      6. Hold the training in the proper environment.
      It's hard to learn if you're uncomfortable, regardless of how good a course may. Find the perfect place to conduct the training. That should be someplace with adequate lighting, seating, heating/air conditioning and minimal distractions (preferably none at all).

      7. The content expert may NOT be the person to teach the class.
      Any trainer can tell you, just knowing the information of a course doesn't mean you can teach it. Find someone who knows the information and can present it in an interesting and entertaining way. If there's nobody like that, hire a professional trainer or speaker to come in and be the "MC" of your training and to help liven up the event.

      8. Create an environment of "academic freedom".
      Let the students know that the purpose of the training is to give them information they need to do their jobs. Let them know that it's o.k. if they ask questions, challenge (within boundaries) the instructors and material, don't grasp everything right. What's important is that everyone in the class gets the opportunity to get the information.

      9. Provide them with all the information already written down.
      Make it easy for the students to focus on the information being given, not on trying to take notes. Have all of the information written down and give it to them. Some students will always take notes no matter what you do, the rest will appreciate being able to sit back, relax, and learn!

      10. Follow-up... But not too soon.
      Get feedback from the students on all aspects of the training. Ask what they liked and didn't like. But don't make it the last activity of the training itself. Wait a day or two and send them a questionnaire. Make it possible for them to submit their comments completely anonymously. Some students just can't bring themselves to saying something negative if they know that you know who said it. Take all the pressure off of them, but get their input.

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      ENTREPRENEUR? YOU?

      Always thought that entrepreneurship was not something you could identify with? Think again! There is actually an entrepreneur in each and every one of us.

      Remember the new paradigm that modern management theorists encourage us to shift to? It's about erasing the mindset that you are a languid employee, working for a boss, and replacing it with the idea of being your own company selling your unique services to another organization (your employer) - a transaction that is rewarded with a regular paycheck for as long as you agree to provide your product to this company. If you find a higher bidder for your good, you will probably leave the current one you supply, and start a relationship with the new one. That is, unless the current company has created an environment that provides you spiritual satisfaction: meaning, and a feeling of belonging, to a degree that exceeds the extra earnings you would get from a new contract. Within this new paradigm, it all boils down to a business-to-business perspective. And with that idea in mind, every working person can perceive him- or herself as an entrepreneur.

      Besides, what constitutes an entrepreneur? That, too, is easy to sum up:

      The will to succeed in everything you do.
      The will to be better than others.
      The determination to go on long after all others have given up.
      The stubbornness to find out for yourself when everyone else tells you your plan won't work.
      The desire to make a difference.
      The spirit to fight against everything that presses you down.
      The resilience to stand up once again after you fell yet another time.
      The courage to adapt to change, even if you have the normal, human aversion to it.
      The gift of a naïve perspective on things, combined with a creative mind.
      The imperturbability of one who defies the odds of age, race, heritage, environment, culture, or other statistical evidence.
      The belief in one's self.
      The will to disconnect from a herd-like mindset, and connect with an independent one.
      The energy of a marathon runner.

      And the above-posted list is definitely not final. In fact it is only a meager, deficient attempt to typify the spirit of an entrepreneur. Now, some of us may have found our spirits broken or damaged through life’s tackles in previous years. Fortunately, a broken spirit can be restored. The power to do so is in you. All you have to do is sit back and contemplate:

      1. Where and when you may have lost your sparkle and naïve approach

      2. Who or what burst your confidence-balloon?

      3. How can you patch it up now that you discovered the roots of your lack of confidence.

      The next thing you have to do is go at it. Your inner-source of wisdom will show you the way to release the anger, bitterness, despondency, and inhibition that prevent you from metamorphosing again from a chicken into an eagle.

      A good approach under all circumstances, even if you cannot detect reasons for spirit fracturing in your past, is to start moving again: not only mentally, but physically as well. Just like thunder usually follows lightning, mental action usually follows physical activity. You just feel better about yourself if you keep yourself physically vigorous, and consequentially, your entrepreneurial spirit will return.

      Does that mean that we are all born entrepreneurs? Well, if we can all learn to be entrepreneurs, we probably all already have it in us, right? In some of us it may just slumber more indomitably than in others. But we can all activate it somehow.

      It also works positively for your entrepreneurial spirit to read magazines on starting business enterprises and their whereabouts. That's where you learn that a good idea does not have to be an expensive one. And once the idea is there, the resources to shape it will be found. Remember, you are creative and you don't let small impediments knock you down.

      So, welcome to the entrepreneurs' golden club. We missed you!

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      10 TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL PUBLIC SPEAKING

      Feeling some nervousness before giving a speech is natural and healthy. It shows you care about doing well. But too much nervousness can be detrimental. Here’s how you can control your nervousness and make effective, memorable presentations:

      1. Know the room. Be familiar with the place in which you will speak. Arrive early, walk around the speaking area and practice using the microphone and any visual aids.

      2. Know the audience. Greet some of the audience as they arrive. It’s easier to speak to a group of friends than to a group of strangers.

      3. Know your material. If you’re not familiar with your material or are uncomfortable with it, your nervousness will increase. Practice your speech and revise it if necessary.

      4. R e l a x . Ease tension by doing exercises.

      5. Visualize yourself giving your speech. Imagine yourself speaking, your voice loud, clear and assured. When you visualize yourself as successful, you will be successful .

      6. Realize that people want you to succeed. Audiences want you to be interesting, stimulating, informative and entertaining. They don’t want you to fail.

      7. Don’t apologize. If you mention your nervousness or apologize for any problems you think you have with your speech, you may be calling the audience’s attention to something they hadn’t noticed. Keep silent.

      8. Concentrate on the message – not the medium. Focus your attention away from your own anxieties and outwardly toward your message and your audience. Your nervousness will dissipate.

      9. Turn nervousness into positive energy. Harness your nervous energy and transform it into vitality and enthusiasm.

      10. Gain experience. Experience builds confidence, which is the key to effective speaking.

    • vividh pawaskar