3460BFI may pull the plug

  • Sandeep Heble
    Sep 19, 2013
      BFI may pull the plug

      Panaji: The Basketball Federation of India has threatened to derail
      the basketball event at the Lusofonia Games 2013 – or rather 2014 now
      – if the Goa Olympic Association continues to flirt with a new body.

      The GOA has recognized the Association of Goan Basketball and handed
      them the right to govern the sport in the state. The GOA is also
      learnt to have handed over a list of two AGB officials who would be
      responsible to arrange for the 24 volunteers for the Lusofonia Games.
      But while all of this might be an effort to put the sport back on
      track, the BFI has made it clear that they already have a body
      registered in Goa.

      “The Goa Basketball Association is our registered body and we will not
      entertain anybody else. If you go ahead, we will not support the
      Lusofonia Games,” BFI CEO Roopam Sharma is understood to have told GOA
      General Secretary Gurudatta Bhakta.

      The BFI’s support, and clearance, is a must to host the basketball
      event at the Lusofonia Games.

      According to those in the know, the BFI is in the process of writing
      to all parties – GOA, Sports Authority of Goa and Lusofonia Games
      organizing committee – that the Goa Basketball Association, headed by
      Fr Ralin de Souza, is the sole body that has the right to administer
      the sport in the state.

      The GOA, after waiting to hear from the Federation, has already
      affiliated the AGB but Bhakta said his sole interest is to see that
      the sport does not continue to suffer.
      “It is my personal opinion that both the bodies come together and form
      an amicable body. If that does not happen, basketball’s fortunes will
      not change,” said Bhakta.

      Basketball has suffered for a long time due to an inept and defunct
      association. The GBA has been revived by former players, elections
      have been held and although there now seems to be light at the end of
      a long, dark and scary tunnel, affiliation fog in the state needs to
      be cleared.

      Source: Times of India, Goa Sep 15 edition.