kernel upgrade

  • Shemmy Porat
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
      Trying to upgrade RedHat 6.2 - kernel 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.4.2 .

      After executing make zImage got error message kernel too large. I run again
      make xconfig to reduce the size of the kernel and than make dep; make
      clean: make zImage.

      This time the proccess stops after less than a minute with the following:

      make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
      make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
      make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2

      Pls help
      thanks
      Shemmy Porat
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
        On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Shemmy Porat wrote:

        > Trying to upgrade RedHat 6.2 - kernel 2.2.14-5.0to 2.4.2 .
        >
        > After executing make zImage got error message kernel too large. I run again
        > make xconfigto reduce the size of the kernel and than make dep; make
        > clean: make zImage.
        >
        > This time the proccess stops after less than a minute with the following:
        >
        > make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
        > make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
        > make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
        > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
        > make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
        >
        > Pls help

        try:

        make bzImage
        """
        instead. It will produce a vmlinuz file in the same location.

        (I don't know exactly what is the difference between biImage and zImage.
        It is not simply bzip2 vs. gzip).

      • Boaz Rymland
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
          Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

          > On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Shemmy Porat wrote:
          >
          > > Trying to upgrade RedHat 6.2 - kernel 2.2.14-5.0to 2.4.2 .
          > >
          > > After executing make zImage got error message kernel too large. I run again
          > > make xconfigto reduce the size of the kernel and than make dep; make
          > > clean: make zImage.
          > >
          > > This time the proccess stops after less than a minute with the following:
          > >
          > > make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
          > > make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
          > > make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
          > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
          > > make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
          > >
          > > Pls help
          >
          > try:
          >
          > make bzImage
          > """
          > instead. It will produce a vmlinuz file in the same location.
          >
          > (I don't know exactly what is the difference between biImage and zImage.
          > It is not simply bzip2 vs. gzip).

          I dont know that exact details too, but I can add that with bzImage kernel you
          dont have a limit on the kernel image size (i think the regular limit is 640k).
          So you can compile, for instance, a 750MB kernel with make bzImage.

          Boaz.
          --
          /"\
          \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2001
            On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Boaz Rymland wrote:

            > Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
            > >
            > > On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Shemmy Porat wrote:
            > >
            > > > Trying to upgrade RedHat 6.2 - kernel 2.2.14-5.0to 2.4.2 .
            > > >
            > > > After executing make zImage got error message kernel too large. I run again
            > > > make xconfigto reduce the size of the kernel and than make dep; make
            > > > clean: make zImage.
            > > >
            > > > This time the proccess stops after less than a minute with the following:
            > > >
            > > > make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
            > > > make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
            > > > make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
            > > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'
            > > > make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
            > > >
            > > > Pls help
            > >
            > > try:
            > >
            > > make bzImage
            > > """
            > > instead. It will produce a vmlinuz file in the same location.
            > >
            > > (I don't know exactly what is the difference between biImage and zImage.
            > > It is not simply bzip2 vs. gzip).
            > >

            > I dont know that exact details too, but I can add that with bzImage kernel you
            > dont have a limit on the kernel image size (i think the regular limit is 640k).
            > So you can compile, for instance, a 750MB kernel with make bzImage.

            Actually, the limit of a bzImage kernel is 2MB, which should be enough for
            the near future. BTW, AFAIK bzImage also uses a gzip based compression,
            and not a bzip2 one. In any case, LILO GRUB and loadlin all accept bzImage
            so it is a better idea than a zImage.

            > Boaz.
            > --
            > /"\
            > \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
            > x Against HTML Mail
            > / \

            Home E-mail: shlomif@...

            The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
            converting any statement that follows it into a true one.
          • Idan Dolev
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2002
              Hi,

              I have 2.2.14 kernel installed.
              In /usr/src/ directory there is a link between linux dir to linux-2.2.14.
              If I want to upgrade to kernel 2.2.17, I can do it using a rpm or compile it
              myself. If I do it by rpm than it does not create a link between linux dir
              and 2.2.17, it leaves the link to the 2.2.14 dir. If I compile it by my
              self, do I need to brake this link and relink it to the 2.2.17 directory ?

              Best regards,

              Idan Dolev
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2002
                On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Idan Dolev wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have 2.2.14 kernel installed.
                > In /usr/src/ directory there is a link between linux dir to linux-2.2.14.
                > If I want to upgrade to kernel 2.2.17, I can do it using a rpm or compile it
                > myself. If I do it by rpm than itdoes not create a link between linux dir
                > and 2.2.17, it leaves the link to the 2.2.14 dir. If I compile it by my
                > self, do I need to brake this link and relink it to the 2.2.17 directory ?

                Where are you taking the source from? linus tarballs? redhat -source rpms?
                (Mandrake still have kernel22-source source RPMs in 8.2, I believe)

                You should realize that for the purpose of deleting, a symlink is a file
                like any other.

                First of all you should know that kernel 2.2.17 is old and has some known
                security holes. It is advised that you get kernel 2.2.20 if you want
                kernel 2.2.

                That said...

                cd /usr/src
                # the following removes the link:
                rm linux
                # create a new link. you should be careful when creating links to
                # directories
                # I assume that the source for kernel 2.2.17 is in the
                # subdirectory 'linux-2.2.17' have you extracted it from the
                # tarball?
                ln -s linux-2.2.17 linux

                --
                Tzafrir Cohen /"\