Re: Re: [gnubies-il] (unknown)

  • meh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 1980
      Hello, Tzafrir Cohen,

      as far as I know it's impossible to execute win32 code without emulators (i.e. Wine Is Not Emulator, DOSemu etc.) so even if you will recieve a win32 woem/trojan it is unlikely to cause any harm

      >Hi
      >
      >[Please give a more descriptive subject line]
      >
      >On Wed, 1 May 2002, MIKE ABRAHAMS wrote:
      >
      >> Is it possible to know if my Linux system has received a Microsoft
      >> virus through email attachments?
      >
      >Short answer: no
      >
      >Long answer: worms, trojans, viruses, and such are pieces of code that,
      >when exected, can do unpleasent things.
      >
      >Normally you don't execute code from untrusted sources (like mail
      >messages). Also normally you are not able to execute nither win32 code nor
      >VB or VBA scripts, in which almost all of the latest windows malicious
      >code is written.
      >
      >This does not mean that future worms will not be executable on linux. But
      >I hope that there will be a combination of two things:
      >
      >1. mail programs will not have holes that will allow automatic execution
      >of untrusted code (such as the hole in outlook/express exploited by the
      >recent klez viruses/worms, which executes the code of the worm
      >automatically when reading a "carrier" mail message using an unpatched
      >outlook).
      >
      >2. users will be smart enough not to execute code from mail messages and
      >other untrusted sources
      >
      >While I have my hopes regarding (1), I am less optimistinc regarding (2).
      >This takwes serious education of both users and of the people who design
      >mailers (for instance, with kamil if I recieve an attached shell script or
      >an attached jpeg image, I "open" both of them. With an image I actually
      >view it, whereas with a script I happen to execute a shell script from an
      >untrusted source).
      >
      >> If so, how can I detect such viruses and remove them?
      >
      >As things stand now, you have to go through great length to make a windows
      >virus work under linux.
      >
      >> I ask because many attachments are forwarded on to people who still use
      >> Windoze in spite of all its problems and suceptability to virus
      >> infections, and I would prefer not to send such viruses on to
      >> unsuspecting friends.
      >
      >Simply avoid forwarding those silly messages. Any reason for you to
      >forward them in the first place ;-) ?
      >
      >--
      >Tzafrir Cohen
      >mailto:tzafrir@...
      >http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

      = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

      Best regards.
      meh
      meh@...
      1980-01-04
    • MIKE ABRAHAMS
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        Is it possible to know if my Linux system has received a Microsoft virus through email attachments?
        If so, how can I detect such viruses and remove them?
        I ask because many attachments are forwarded on to people who still use Windoze in spite of all its problems and suceptability to virus infections, and I would prefer not to send such viruses on to unsuspecting friends.

        Thanks,

        Mike 2000
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2002
          Hi

          [Please give a more descriptive subject line]

          On Wed, 1 May 2002, MIKE ABRAHAMS wrote:

          > Is it possible to know if my Linux system has received a Microsoft
          > virus through email attachments?

          Short answer: no

          Long answer: worms, trojans, viruses, and such are pieces of code that,
          when exected, can do unpleasent things.

          Normally you don't execute code from untrusted sources (like mail
          messages). Also normally you are not able to execute nither win32 code nor
          VB or VBA scripts, in which almost all of the latest windows malicious
          code is written.

          This does not mean that future worms will not be executable on linux. But
          I hope that there will be a combination of two things:

          1. mail programs will not have holes that will allow automatic execution
          of untrusted code (such as the hole in outlook/express exploited by the
          recent klez viruses/worms, which executes the code of the worm
          automatically when reading a "carrier" mail message using an unpatched
          outlook).

          2. users will be smart enough not to execute code from mail messages and
          other untrusted sources

          While I have my hopes regarding (1), I am less optimistinc regarding (2).
          This takwes serious education of both users and of the people who design
          mailers (for instance, with kamil if I recieve an attached shell script or
          an attached jpeg image, I "open" both of them. With an image I actually
          view it, whereas with a script I happen to execute a shell script from an
          untrusted source).

          > If so, how can I detect such viruses and remove them?

          As things stand now, you have to go through great length to make a windows
          virus work under linux.

          > I ask because many attachments are forwarded on to people who still use
          > Windoze in spite of all its problems and suceptability to virus
          > infections, and I would prefer not to send such viruses on to
          > unsuspecting friends.

          Simply avoid forwarding those silly messages. Any reason for you to
          forward them in the first place ;-) ?

        • Diego Iastrubni
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2002
            i once recieved one win-virus, it was fun running the atached program under
            wine, it called killallthreads(), and then died... ba`asa, what if wine will
            emulate windows that good and windows viruses could run in linux?

            some day, kbasic will be ready, and you will be able to execute malisius vb
            code under linux.

            Until then, I am sorry to tell you that you are comlretely safe.

            - diego

            On Wednesday 01 May 2002 16:36, MIKE ABRAHAMS wrote:
            > Is it possible to know if my Linux system has received a Microsoft virus
            > through email attachments? If so, how can I detect such viruses and remove
            > them?
            > I ask because many attachments are forwarded on to people who still use
            > Windoze in spite of all its problems and suceptability to virus infections,
            > and I would prefer not to send such viruses on to unsuspecting friends.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mike 2000

            Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction
            listen to weather forecasts and economists?
            -- Kelvin Throop III
          • Leibovich Family
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2002
              > re-installation is not the solution.

              One must always keep in mind this is *not* Windows(tm) we're talking about
              :)
            • Eran
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 16, 2003