linux -s

  • skfarblum@corelcity.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2001
      Something I learnt the hardway the other day and this is for newbies
      like myself.When using the command linux -s at the lilo prompt to get
      into single mode remember that "linux" here is the name of your
      kernel.As I call my kernels all sort of different names(usually from
      Farscape -the sc-fi series)Do use the name of your kernel to get this
      command to work eg. dargo -s.I hope I am correct about this.Feedback
      is appreciated.
      thanks S
      another way to get in is"dargo init=/bin/sh rw"
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2001
        On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 skfarblum@... wrote:

        > Something I learnt the hardway the other day and this is for newbies
        > like myself.When using the command linux -s at the lilo prompt to get
        > into single mode remember that "linux" here is the name of your
        > kernel.As I call my kernels all sort of different names(usually from
        > Farscape -the sc-fi series)Do use the name of your kernel to get this
        > command to work eg. dargo -s.I hopeI am correct about this.Feedback
        > is appreciated.
        > thanks S
        > another way to get in is"dargo init=/bin/sh rw"

        Those two are not the same.

        "single user mode" will get you into run-level 1. This is, by definition,
        a basic configuration with almost everything stripped-out.

        However, some ammount of the inittioalization scripts is still run. For
        instance, the default configuration of debain also loads the network
        interfaces in single-user mode.

        using the parameter "init=/bin/sh" you order the kernel not to mess with
        /sbin/init at all, and simply load a shell over a bare kernel. Less things
        can go wrong, but you have some less protections.

        For instancew: /sbin/init (through inittab) sets ctrl-alt-del for the
        familiar shutdown process. If you don't use it, don't forget to unmount
        everything before you reboot.

        Further reading:

        (Iforgot the exact name): something like "Boot Prompt to Bash" HOWTO in
        the LDP (e.g.: http://linux.org.il/LDP , if you don't have a local copy)