Re: [gnubies-il] Where art thou kernel

  • Diego Iastrubni
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2002
      1) which linmodem?
      2) get the source from any mirror, or from: www.kernel.org.
      you are using smandaiek, so runing rpmdrake, and searching for "kernel source"
      and instaling it, you will have the kernel source in /usr/linux.
      I would recommend copmiling a kernel, because mdks kernel sucks ass. My (8.1)
      had problems with opengl, and opengl programs run at 3 frames per second, now
      I can run quake III,and I think it is better then in windows.

      Some third parth modules (like your linmodem driver), have problems with non
      official kernels, so be warned.

      BTW: is is possible to get a clean linux kernel compiled and packed in rpm? I
      mean no extra patches.

      - diego
      --
      I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
      -- Publilius Syrus
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2002
        On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:49:31PM +0300, Diego Iastrubni wrote:

        > 2) get the source from any mirror, or from: www.kernel.org.

        ftp://ftp.iglu.org.il should be a very fast mirror for israeli users.

        > BTW: is is possible to get a clean linux kernel compiled and packed in rpm? I
        > mean no extra patches.

        Yes. Get the redhat kernel source rpms and look at its spec file,
        which is the file that tells the rpm(1) program how to build the
        rpm. It has a base vanilla kernel (2.4.17 or 2.4.18 currently) and a
        long list of patches to apply to it. Aommenting out this list and
        getting it to build only the unpatched vanilla kernel is trivial and
        left as an excersize to the reader.
        --
        The ill-formed Orange
        Fails to satisfy the eye: http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2002
          On éåí øàùåï, 7 áàôøéì 2002, 22:37, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
          > On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:49:31PM +0300, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
          > > 2) get the source from any mirror, or from: www.kernel.org.
          >
          > ftp://ftp.iglu.org.il should be a very fast mirror for israeli users.
          >
          > > BTW: is is possible to get a clean linux kernel compiled and packed in
          > > rpm? I mean no extra patches.
          >
          > Yes. Get the redhat kernel source rpms and look at its spec file,
          > which is the file that tells the rpm(1) program how to build the
          > rpm. It has a base vanilla kernel (2.4.17 or 2.4.18 currently) and a
          > long list of patches to apply to it. Aommenting out this list and
          > getting it to build only the unpatched vanilla kernel is trivial and
          > left as an excersize to the reader.
          two things:
          a) this is a newbie mailing list, there is nothig too trivial....
          b) how about "I hate compiling"? What I look is a pre copmiled kernel. so I
          could make rpm's of for example, modem drivers (which do not always work with
          3rd party compiled and patched kernels), and anothre example is lirc.

          --
          What is now proved was once only imagin'd.
          -- William Blake