Re: [gnubies-il] XFree86 resolution configuration

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2000
      On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 intellijoint@... wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I bought a book that came with RedHat 6.2 bundelled in it.
      > Installed it and everything went fine.
      > During the installation process the program probed the hardware and
      > created an XF86Config file. The file which was created has sections
      > for "Device" and "Monitor" which are generic and sections which are
      > specific to my hardware (Packard Bell 17" monitor and ATI Mach64
      > card). It also created sections for "Screen" based on several
      > combinations of the above.
      > When I start X it enters into 640x480 mode and the picture is
      > slightly distorted (shifted to the left and too long to fit into the
      > screen).
      > How do I select which screen server (resolution and color depth) will
      > be enabled when X starts? Should I simply remark the lines I do not
      > want to work or is there a different way to tell X to switch
      > resolutions.
      > I guess that once I get to the right resolution I can use
      > Xconfigurator to fine tune the distortions (does it save the values
      > to XF86Config or should I copy the values manually to the file)?

      Xconfigurator overwrites XF86Config (at least the screen-related sections.

      I suggest you to first try to work with Xconfigurator. Be sure to answer
      "no" to its question of "boot the system in graphical mode" (or something
      similar) until you are totally sure that your X server loads properly.

      (I recommend not using a graphical login anyway, and simply running startx
      after login. But that's me).

      Anyway, if you fail to get the result with Xconfigurator, follow the
      explanations from Boaz's post.

      BTW: Xconfigurator has a database of screens (wit their parameters) so if
      your (exact!) model appears in its list, you can save some time on
      mode-lines editing.

      HTH