XFree86 resolution configuration

  • intellijoint@barak-online.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2000
      Hello,

      I bought a book that came with RedHat 6.2 bundelled in it.
      Installed it and everything went fine.
      During the installation process the program probed the hardware and
      created an XF86Config file. The file which was created has sections
      for "Device" and "Monitor" which are generic and sections which are
      specific to my hardware (Packard Bell 17" monitor and ATI Mach64
      card). It also created sections for "Screen" based on several
      combinations of the above.
      When I start X it enters into 640x480 mode and the picture is
      slightly distorted (shifted to the left and too long to fit into the
      screen).
      How do I select which screen server (resolution and color depth) will
      be enabled when X starts? Should I simply remark the lines I do not
      want to work or is there a different way to tell X to switch
      resolutions.
      I guess that once I get to the right resolution I can use
      Xconfigurator to fine tune the distortions (does it save the values
      to XF86Config or should I copy the values manually to the file)?

      ANy Help?
      Thank you,
      Gilad
    • Boaz Rymland
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2000
        Hi,

        I'm not gonna cover all of it below. There's a lot about using or configuring X.
        You've asked for info on both. See my remarks below... .

        intellijoint@... wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I bought a book that came with RedHat 6.2 bundelled in it.
        > Installed it and everything went fine.
        > During the installation process the program probed the hardware and
        > created an XF86Config file. The file which was created has sections
        > for "Device" and "Monitor" which are generic and sections which are
        > specific to my hardware (Packard Bell 17" monitor and ATI Mach64
        > card). It also created sections for "Screen" based on several
        > combinations of the above.

        Just a tip - the manual page of XF86Config (X configuration file) is very nice.
        It's quite readable, and will teach you a lot about playing with it.

        > When I start X it enters into 640x480 mode and the picture is
        > slightly distorted (shifted to the left and too long to fit into the
        > screen).
        > How do I select which screen server (resolution and color depth) will
        > be enabled when X starts? Should I simply remark the lines I do not
        > want to work or is there a different way to tell X to switch
        > resolutions.

        What I understand that you want to do is to pick *not* an X server, but A
        MODELINE to run the X in. Meaning, you wanna choose the resolution, color depth,
        etc' (this isn't requiring changing the X server but tweaking it's configuration
        via it's config file).
        Before editing the config file, try to switch modes while X is running, if it's
        enabled on your configuration - Ctrl+Alt+(+)/(-) .
        When you find an already nice modeline which suits you, you can edit XF86Config
        file to change the order of "selectable" modeline, where you put your favorite
        first.

        > I guess that once I get to the right resolution I can use
        > Xconfigurator to fine tune the distortions (does it save the values
        > to XF86Config or should I copy the values manually to the file)?

        here are some sites in which you can produce nice modelines:
        http://zaph.com/Modeline/
        http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
        http://www.inria.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

        Finally, I know this probably aint helping you too much, but I hope that with
        some other help it'll give you a better understanding of the bigger picture. :-)

        Boaz.

        > ANy Help?
        > Thank you,
        > Gilad

        /"\
        \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
        x Against HTML Mail
        / \
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2000
          On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 intellijoint@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I bought a book that came with RedHat 6.2 bundelled in it.
          > Installed it and everything went fine.
          > During the installation process the program probed the hardware and
          > created an XF86Config file. The file which was created has sections
          > for "Device" and "Monitor" which are generic and sections which are
          > specific to my hardware (Packard Bell 17" monitor and ATI Mach64
          > card). It also created sections for "Screen" based on several
          > combinations of the above.
          > When I start X it enters into 640x480 mode and the picture is
          > slightly distorted (shifted to the left and too long to fit into the
          > screen).
          > How do I select which screen server (resolution and color depth) will
          > be enabled when X starts? Should I simply remark the lines I do not
          > want to work or is there a different way to tell X to switch
          > resolutions.
          > I guess that once I get to the right resolution I can use
          > Xconfigurator to fine tune the distortions (does it save the values
          > to XF86Config or should I copy the values manually to the file)?

          Xconfigurator overwrites XF86Config (at least the screen-related sections.

          I suggest you to first try to work with Xconfigurator. Be sure to answer
          "no" to its question of "boot the system in graphical mode" (or something
          similar) until you are totally sure that your X server loads properly.

          (I recommend not using a graphical login anyway, and simply running startx
          after login. But that's me).

          Anyway, if you fail to get the result with Xconfigurator, follow the
          explanations from Boaz's post.

          BTW: Xconfigurator has a database of screens (wit their parameters) so if
          your (exact!) model appears in its list, you can save some time on
          mode-lines editing.

          HTH