Re: [gnubies-il] Re: Explanation for how to edit /etc/fstab

  • Diego G. Iastrubni
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
      >[ Taking this to gnubies-il ]
      have you notified the original sender of this mail?

      > > Yes, I am using root, because this is an urgent life-saving message,
      >which I
      > > felt that I have to obliged to send.
      >
      >[ I'll repeat it once again: Working unnecessarily as root is considered
      >harmful ]
      (how do I make new users? linuxconf)

      >You are also advised to try IRC on more urgent questions. There are plenty
      >of IRC clients, and some of them are even very easy to use. Chanels like
      >#linux , #linuxhelp etc. on IRC network can provide you better answers.
      >IRC is also more interactive (in case you're not exactly sure what is the
      >question you want to ask).
      I would really like to know which server and channel. I have a few questions
      as well.

      >You also asked the wrong question. You should have asked something like:
      >
      >"I want to add a mount point for an NT partition to /etc/fstab " or "I
      >want to view files from an NTFS partition under linux". It would have also
      >helped to to mention what distro you use, and what version.
      >
      >In that case, someone might have answered you that your distro has a tool
      >for doing this, and that it works in the console (or someone may tell you
      >that your distro has such a tool, but using it is dangeous. This is also
      >a possibility)
      >
      >I never tried using NTFS, but long ago I tried using linuxconf to set
      >mount points, and it worked pretty well. Linuxconf comes with (at least)
      >Mandrake and redhat, and works in the console.
      if someone has experience with ntfs, please tell, since I need to setup a
      ntfs mount on linux and I am really corious about the user/group schema
      implementation.

      - diego

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
        On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Diego G. Iastrubni wrote:

        > >[ Taking this to gnubies-il ]
        > have you notified the original sender of this mail?

        (s)he was CC-ed to the message.

        > > > Yes, I am using root, because this is an urgent life-saving message,
        > >which I
        > > > felt that I have to obliged to send.
        > >
        > >[ I'll repeat it once again: Working unnecessarily as root is considered
        > >harmful ]
        > (how do I make new users? linuxconf)

        Most distros have their convinient ways to do that at the installation and
        also after that.

        Linuxconf (or the shortcut, userconf) is one possible way on some distros.

        A slightly more "portable" solution is:

        adduser new_login_name
        passwd new_login_name

        And answer questions where prompted (e.g: type and retype the password)

        > >You are also advised to try IRC on more urgent questions. There are plenty
        > >of IRC clients, and some of them are even very easy to use. Chanels like
        > >#linux , #linuxhelp etc. on IRC network can provide you better answers.
        > >IRC is also more interactive (in case you're not exactly sure what is the
        > >question you want to ask).
        >
        > I would really like to know which server and channel. I have a few questions
        > as well.

        Actually I don't spend much time on IRC, so I'm not the best source.

        Easy-to-use IRC clients (like XChat and mozilla's chatzilla) already
        contain lists of IRC servers of several networks.

        irc.inter.net.il is part of efnet . There is a channel there called
        "#iglu" which is for IGLU. I beieve that there are also #linux ,
        #linuxhelp , #mandrake , etc.

        > >You also asked the wrong question. You should have asked something like:
        > >
        > >"I want to add a mount point for an NT partition to /etc/fstab " or "I
        > >want to view files from an NTFS partition under linux". It would have also
        > >helped to to mentionwhat distro you use, and what version.
        > >
        > >In that case, someone might have answered you that your distro has a tool
        > >for doing this, and that it works in the console (or someone may tell you
        > >that your distro has such a tool, but using it is dangeous. This is also
        > >a possibility)
        > >
        > >I never tried using NTFS, but long ago I tried using linuxconf to set
        > >mount points, and it worked pretty well. Linuxconf comes with (at least)
        > >Mandrake and redhat, and works in the console.
        >
        > if someone has experience with ntfs, please tell, since I need to setup a
        > ntfs mount on linux and I am really corious about the user/group schema
        > implementation.

        Linux currently doesn't try to map NTFS security properties to linux
        owner/group/permissions . I believe that this was discussed in one of the
        latest issues of LWN.net (Linux Weekly News) in the kernel section.

        But the short answer is that you can only set one user, group and
        permission mode to the whole file-system .

      • mulix
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
          On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Diego G. Iastrubni wrote:

          > >You are also advised to try IRC on more urgent questions. There are plenty
          > >of IRC clients, and some of them are even very easy to use. Chanels like
          > >#linux , #linuxhelp etc. on IRC network can provide you better answers.
          > >IRC is also more interactive (in case you're not exactly sure what is the
          > >question you want to ask).
          > I would really like to know which server and channel. I have a few questions
          > as well.

          #linux on efnet, #linpeople on openprojects, #iglu on efnet are the
          linux help channels i'm familiar with.

          see www.efnet.org, www.openprojects.net for irc help and a list of
          servers. israeli users can use irc.inter.net.il for efnet, and any
          irc.openprojects.net server for openprojects.

          you can find me (nick mulix) on #iglu or #syscalltrack on efnet and
          #kernelnewbies or #pptp on opn.

          > >I never tried using NTFS, but long ago I tried using linuxconf to set
          > >mount points, and it worked pretty well. Linuxconf comes with (at least)
          > >Mandrake and redhat, and works in the console.
          > if someone has experience with ntfs, please tell, since I need to setup a
          > ntfs mount on linux and I am really corious about the user/group schema
          > implementation.

          two tiny pieces of advice re ntfs: use a current kernel, since ntfs is
          in constant development, and write support is not only experimental,
          it's also dangerous.
          --
          mulix

          http://www.pointer.co.il/~mulix/