A KDE thing

  • Aviv
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
      hello

      i was using slack 7.1 for a few months and with GNOME. Now i've moved to slack 8 (hardware problems, already has the 2.4.5 kernel etc') and i decided to install KDE because i've heard it has hebrew support

      well, after running it i discovered that when i move my cursor to the sides of the screen it moves (i dont mean that it goes from desktop 1 to 2, its like the actuall desktop is bigger than my screen's size)
      someone knows how can i fix that?
      and about the hebrew support, when i configured KDE to run in "hebrew mode" and restarted it it got stuck while loading in the devices part (the keyboard/mouse thing). it only worked again after i deleted the .kde directory in my home dir

      thx
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2001
        On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Aviv wrote:

        > hello
        >
        > i was using slack 7.1 for a few months and with GNOME. Now i've moved
        > to slack 8 (hardware problems, already has the 2.4.5 kernel etc') and i
        > decided to install KDE because i've heard it has hebrew support

        I can't say that the hebrew support is much better in KDE. This wll change
        with KDE3, of course.

        > well, after running it i discovered that when i move my cursor to the
        > sides of the screen it moves (i dont mean that it goes from desktop 1 to
        > 2, its like the actuall desktop is bigger than my screen's size)
        >
        > someone knows how can i fix that?

        Not sure exactly. Have you explored their "display properties"?

        (This is generally a standard feature that every decent window manager
        has, optionally)

        > and about the hebrew support, when i configuredKDE to run in "hebrew
        > mode" and restarted it it got stuck while loading in the devices part
        > (the keyboard/mouse thing). it only worked again after i deleted the
        > .kde directory in my home dir

        You need to use the charset UTF-8 rathe rthan ISO-8859-8.

        Either through the KDE interface, or (in the good-old unix way, which is
        the only possible way if KDE keep crashing):

        in .kde/share/config/kdeglobals :

        [Locale]
        Charset=iso10646-1
        Country=il
        Language=he

        (How do I get hebrew language but english user interface? Something like
        setting LANG to "he" but LC_MECCAGES to "C"?)

        --
        Tzafrir Cohen /"\
        mailto:tzafrir@... \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2001
          >in .kde/share/config/kdeglobals :
          >
          >[Locale]
          >Charset=iso10646-1
          >Country=il
          >Language=he
          This will make me read file in 16 bit mode, while most of us need 8 bit.
          Dont like it.

          >(How do I get hebrew language but english user interface? Something like
          >setting LANG to "he" but LC_MECCAGES to "C"?)
          kde ignores all enviroments if a config file was fount. and kde is not that
          flexible like gnome anyway (on gnome you could do that, kde not).

          - diego