Hi

  • Fractal A.
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2001
      Hi,

      I'm new to the group. I would like to install Linux to my desktop i386. Which version of Linux should I choose to install? Is FreeBSD or OpenBSD (henceforth called BSD) something that is better or the same as Linux? What are the differences between the BSD and the Linux? Do applications that run on Linux run on BSD? Does VMWare run on BSD? Does BSD require its own version of Wine?

      Thanks for your help. fractala@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2001
        On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Fractal A. wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm new to the group. I would like to install Linux to my desktop i386.
        > Which version of Linux should I choose to install?

        What is the best distribution is a subject of a very old and still ongoing
        holy war. My personal recommendation is Mandrake, but many people would
        disagree with me.

        >Is FreeBSD or OpenBSD ( henceforth called BSD) something that is better
        > or the same as Linux?

        I worked on FreeBSD a little, but back then it was not at a level to
        notice any major differences between it and Linux. In any case,
        configuring a BSD system is different than configuring a Linux one, and
        each have different capabilities.

        > What are the differences between the BSD and the Linux?

        > Do applications that run on Linux run on BSD?

        FreeBSD has a Linux emulator, so basically yes.

        >Does VMWare run on BSD?

        You can run it using the Linux emulator. However, VMWare Inc. will not
        supply support for this option.

        > Does BSD require its own version of Wine?

        Wine can compile and run on BSD.

        > Thanks for your help. fractala@...

        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
        what went wrong more quickly.
      • Moshe Achmon
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2001
          But if his machine is indeed a 386, he cannot run Mandrake which is
          optimized for pentium class machines and above. In that case Red Hat seems
          the right answer.
          Regards.
          Moshe

          >From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...>
          >To: <gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [gnubies-il] Hi
          >Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:05:03 +0200 (IST)
          >
          >On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Fractal A. wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm new to the group. I would like to install Linux to my desktop i386.
          > > Which version of Linux should I choose to install?
          >
          >What is the best distribution is a subject of a very old and still ongoing
          >holy war. My personal recommendation is Mandrake, but many people would
          >disagree with me.
          >
          > >Is FreeBSD or OpenBSD ( henceforth called BSD) something that is better
          > > or the same as Linux?
          >
          >I worked on FreeBSD a little, but back then it was not at a level to
          >notice any major differences between it and Linux. In any case,
          >configuring a BSD system is different than configuring a Linux one, and
          >each have different capabilities.
          >
          > > What are the differences between the BSD and the Linux?
          >
          > > Do applications that run on Linux run on BSD?
          >
          >FreeBSD has a Linux emulator, so basically yes.
          >
          > >Does VMWare run on BSD?
          >
          >You can run it using the Linux emulator. However, VMWare Inc. will not
          >supply support for this option.
          >
          > > Does BSD require its own version of Wine?
          > >

          >Wine can compile and run on BSD.
          >
          > > Thanks for your help. fractala@...
          > >

          >Regards,
          >
          > Shlomi Fish

          >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          >Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
          >Home Page: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
          >Home E-mail: shlomif@...
          >
          >A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
          >what went wrong more quickly.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2005
            Hello all,

            I am green to UNIX / LINUX all I am aware of is the history of how
            the software got started. I have downloaded FEDORA Core 3 and would
            like suggestions on how to install , what GUI X-Windows config I
            should use, what linux apps to use.

            This will help me enourmously.

            Hope to hear from anyone soon

            Regards

            Robert
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
              On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:46, Robert wrote:
              > Hello all,
              >
              > I am green to UNIX / LINUX all I am aware of is the history of how
              > the software got started. I have downloaded FEDORA Core 3 and would
              > like suggestions on how to install,

              To install, just make your CD-ROM drive bootable and boot from the first CD of
              the distribution. The hard part is the partitioning, in which you have to
              make your Windows partition smaller, so you can install Linux on the freed
              space. Are you aware of what a partition is?

              I think you can find installation guides for Fedora Core on the Web. (possibly
              even in Hebrew). But the installation is GUIish and easy, so it shouldn't be
              too hard.

              > what GUI X-Windows config I
              > should use,

              I would recommend KDE for people who are just switching over from Windows, as
              it can be configured to be the most similar to Windows, and also offers a
              very powerful, configurable and integrated working environment. I and many
              other more experienced people are still using it.

              > what linux apps to use.

              Well, this depends on what you want to do. I've listed some of my own
              favourites here:

              http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/favourite/

              Let us know if there's anything else you need.

              Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/