pptp install

  • David Howard
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2001
      I've come to a dead halt trying to install the pptp-mulix-1.0.3
      package. I need the precise syntax to install.

      Box: Duron 750, 256 MB. W2K. Mandrake 8.1 (new install).
      ADSL: Israsrv.
      Modem: ATUR3.

      Done so far:
      1. Read HOWTO-ADSL-BEZEQ.
      2. Downloaded pptp-mulix-1.0.3; unzip, untar to /home/<user>/.
      3. Open /home/<user>/pptp.mulix-1.0.3/
      4. Look for "make", "configure". None there.
      5. Read readme, INSTALL, Using, Makefile.
      6. Checked location pppd (/usr/sbin).
      7. Search for pptp. Not found. Open terminal.
      8. su (<pwd>).
      9. cd /home/<user>/pptp-mulix-1.0.3
      10. man Makefile. (no entry for Makefile).
      11. man install. Read.
      12. install -d C /usr/bin. Creates /home/<user>/pptp-linux-.tar.gz).
      13. Search for pptp. Not found.

      Having now exhausted my extremely limited console skills, I ask:

      a) What's the correct syntax to install pptp? I'm happy to RTFM,
      provided I know which FM to R. Can someone direct me? Step 12
      above is obviously wrong (terminal output is in attached file).

      b) Should pptp be in /bin or /usr/bin, or doesn't it matter?

      c) Documentation says pptp must be run as root. After installation,
      can I #chmod a+r /usr/bin/pptp to run as user?

      d) I presume one can run a shell script to automate dialling/login.
      Does such a script exist for Israsrv?

      Thanks in advance, and mo'adim lesimhah.

      -----------------------------------
      David Howard
      dhoward@...
      dhoward44@...
      ------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2001
        On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, David Howard wrote:

        > I've come to a dead halt trying to install the pptp-mulix-1.0.3
        > package. I need the precise syntax to install.
        >
        > Box: Duron 750, 256 MB. W2K. Mandrake 8.1 (new install).
        > ADSL: Israsrv.
        > Modem: ATUR3.
        >
        > Done so far:
        > 1. Read HOWTO-ADSL-BEZEQ.
        > 2. Downloaded pptp-mulix-1.0.3; unzip, untar to /home/<user>/.

        [ no need to do that in a seperate command: use 'tar -xvzf archive.tar.gz'
        the 'z' is for gzip compression/decompression ]

        > 3. Open /home/<user>/pptp.mulix-1.0.3/
        > 4. Look for "make", "configure". None there.

        'configure' is indeed not there. But there is "Makefile",, which is used
        for 'make'.

        Since there is no configure script, you may need to edit the makefile
        yourself to adjust it to your system.

        > 5. Read readme, INSTALL, Using, Makefile.

        [ that is: 'make' ]

        This builds 'pptp' in the current directory, and it is now the job of root
        to install it.

        > 6. Checked location pppd (/usr/sbin).
        > 7. Search for pptp. Not found. Open terminal.
        > 8. su (<pwd>).
        > 9. cd /home/<user>/pptp-mulix-1.0.3

        'make install' is the standard for decent packages.

        > 10. man Makefile. (no entry for Makefile).
        > 11. man install. Read.

        'install' is actually a program for use by install scripts. What it does
        is similar to cp and mkdir.

        > 12. install -d C /usr/bin. Creates /home/<user>/pptp-linux-.tar.gz).

        Running a command you don't know as root is not advised. It can have some
        devastating results.

        > 13. Search for pptp. Not found.
        >
        > Having now exhausted my extremely limited console skills, I ask:
        >
        > a) What's the correct syntax to install pptp? I'm happy to RTFM,
        > provided I know which FM to R. Can someone direct me? Step 12
        > above is obviously wrong (terminal output is in attached file).
        >
        > b) Should pptp be in /bin or /usr/bin, or doesn't it matter?

        Traditionally "sbin", rather than "bin" is for files that are to be run by
        root or system users and not by simple users.

        Also, it is best to put stuff that you have compiled yourself under
        /usr/local, and leave the main /usr tree for your distribution to handle.
        For instance, you might decide to install your distro's pptp package for
        some reason (or worst: it might happen accidentally). So maybe you should
        put it in /usr/local/sbin . I'm not sure that this is in root's PATH, but
        it can be added (probably in /root/.bash_profile )

        > c) Documentation says pptp must be run as root. After installation,
        > can I #chmod a+r /usr/bin/pptp to run as user?

        To allow all users to execute it, make sure that it has 'x' permissions
        for 'others'. (If the program is not a script, then you actually don't
        need 'r' permissions for it).

        But it probably has to run as root because it does weird things with the
        TCP/IP stack (all the GRE tunnels stuff) or otherwise mess with your
        network configuration. This means that any attempt to run it as a user
        will resault in a "permission deny" error of some sort somewhere along the
        way.

        There are several ways to let users execute such commands, but I'll leave
        it for others to comment on their relevance for the case here.