Fwd: real virus warning

  • Joseph Bibeau
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2001
      --- Linette Noble <modocsage@...> wrote:
      > From: "Linette Noble" <modocsage@...>
      > To: internet_nerd2000@..., busch@...,
      > modoccowboy@...
      > Subject: real virus warning
      > Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:23:41 -0700

      <HR>
      <H2><B><FONT color=maroon face=Arial
      size=5><SPAN>Received this in mail - passing
      information on to you.</SPAN></FONT></B></H2>
      <H2><B><FONT color=maroon face=Arial
      size=5><SPAN></SPAN></FONT></B> </H2>
      <H2><B><FONT color=maroon face=Arial
      size=5><SPAN>Subject: Warning - Do Not Open Blue
      Envelopes in your U.S. Mail <?xml:namespace prefix = o
      ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
      /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></B></H2>
      <H5><B><FONT color=maroon face=Arial size=2><SPAN>ONCE
      YOU HAVE READ THIS PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOU KNOW.
      <BR><BR>This is from Schwab corporate headquarters --
      so it's no joke. <BR>Very scary. <BR>Be careful Just
      when you thought you were safe, now we <BR>have the
      following to deal with...please read, it definitely is
      <BR>a serious threat to our lives and health. This is
      an alert about a virus <BR>in the original sense of
      the word...one that affects your body, not your hard
      <BR>drive. <BR>There have been 23 confirmed cases of
      people attacked by the <BR>Klingerman Virus, a virus
      that arrives in your real mailbox, <BR>not your e-mail
      in box. <BR><BR>Someone has been mailing large blue
      envelopes, seemingly at <BR>random, to people inside
      the US. On the front of the envelope in bold black
      letters is <BR>printed, "A gift for you from the
      Klingerman Foundation." <BR>When the envelopes are
      opened, there is a small sponge sealed <BR>in plastic.
      This sponge carries what has come to be known as the
      Klingerman <BR>Virus, as public health officials state
      this is a strain of virus they have not <BR>previously
      encountered. When asked for comment, Florida
      <BR>police Sergeant Stetson said, "We are working with
      the CDC and <BR>the USPS, but have so far been unable
      to track down the origins of these letters. The
      <BR>return addresses have all been different, and we
      are certain a remailing service is being used, making
      our jobs <BR>that much more difficult." <BR>Those who
      have come in contact with the Klingerman Virus have
      <BR>been hospitalized with severe dysentery. <BR>So
      far seven of the twenty-three victims have died. There
      is no <BR>legitimate Klingerman Foundation mailing
      unsolicited gifts. If you receive an oversized blue
      <BR>envelope in the mail marked "A gift from the
      Klingerman foundation". DO NOT open it. <BR>Place it
      in a strong plastic bag or container and call the
      police immediately. The "Gift" is one you
      <BR>definitely do not want to open. <BR><BR>PLEASE
      PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT. <BR><BR>Mrs.
      Sandra Dee McNair-Boyd <BR>Social Work Secretary
      <BR>Yale New Haven Hospital <BR>Department of Social
      Work <o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></B></H5>
      <P class=MsoNormal><B><FONT color=maroon face=Arial
      size=2><SPAN>203-688-2256</SPAN></FONT></B><FONT
      face=Arial size=2><SPAN>
      </SPAN></FONT><o:p></o:p></P></DIV></div><br
      clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer
      at <a

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hi

        1. This does not seem to be a real virus warning.
        Try a simple google search for "Klingerman" (I didn't even have to add
        "virus" or "hoax"):

        http://www.google.com/search?q=Klingerman

        The first answer is:

        http://www.snopes2.com/toxins/klinger.htm

        2. I would suspect with any email that requests me to forward it to
        "anyone I know" and doesn't give me a good enough reason (if it is
        something I don't know about, then I need a better source of
        information than "This is from Schwab corporate", or "IBM issued a warning".

        If a company issues a press realease, you'll find it in its site. Where
        is the URL to this press release? I would generally not believe any
        such message without links to trustworthy sources that could at least
        partially verify it.

        Also: as much as rumors seem to travel fast by email, news sites
        generally respond faster. Why isn't there a link to a story on CNN?

        3. If this is an old hoax, then a search engine will probably trace it.
        Note that the web takes some time to "respond" to new information (to
        add links to it, to inde them in search engines, etc.), but for older
        hoaxes this works quite well.

        4. Please don't send HTML mail to this list. I couldn't easily read this
        message.