a few questions about unix

  • dgi dgi_il
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
      hi!
      I have been tring to copmile mozila (since I cannot find a binary that is
      linked against glibc 2.1) and this beast to gorwing abuot 560 Mbytes! when I
      reach 60 Mbtyes free on /, I get the worst error I could get: no more space
      left on device.

      1) can it be possible? (how can I make it run until there is .00001 bytes
      free? reconfigure?)
      2) how can I know which mozilla veriosn I am compiling? (some 0.9, I could
      not find where it says exactly which version)
      3) how can I know how much free space I have left on a device (I have beenu
      using control centre and krusader for this)
      4) how can I know how much free memory I have (RAM) ?

      - diego

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
        On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, dgi dgi_il wrote:

        > hi!
        > I have been tring to copmile mozila (since I cannot find a binary that is
        > linked against glibc 2.1) and this beast to gorwing abuot 560 Mbytes! when I
        > reach 60 Mbtyes free on /, I get the worst error I could get: no more space
        > left on device.
        >
        > 1) can it be possible? (how can I make it run until there is .00001 bytes
        > free? reconfigure?)

        It should run until you have 0 MBytes free. Maybe there's something wrong
        with your quotas.

        > 2) how can I know which mozilla veriosn I am compiling? (some 0.9, I could
        > not find where it says exactly which version)

        It should appear somewhere in the source tree. Where exactly I don't know.

        > 3) how can I know how much free space I have left on a device (I have beenu
        > using control centre and krusader for this)

        Type "df" at the command line.

        > 4) how can I know how much free memory I have (RAM) ?

        That I can't really tell you. Maybe "top" will do, but I'm not sure.

        > - diego

        Home E-mail: shlomif@...

        A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
        what went wrong more quickly.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2001
          On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, dgi dgi_il wrote:

          > hi!
          > I have been tring to copmile mozila (since I cannot find a binary that is
          > linked against glibc 2.1) and this beast to gorwing abuot 560 Mbytes! when I
          > reach 60 Mbtyes free on /, I get the worst error I could get: no more space
          > left on device.

          First of all: make sure you build mozilla with debugging disabled. I
          remember that it has saved me at least a couple of 100Ms

          > 2) how can I know which mozilla veriosn I am compiling? (some 0.9, I could
          > not find where it says exactly which version)

          Sorry. I have no idea.

          Here:
          $ mozilla/dist/bin/mozilla-config --version
          -1

          > 3) how can I know how much free space I have left on a device (I have beenu
          > using control centre and krusader for this)

          df

          > 4) how can I know how much free memory I have (RAM) ?

          free .

          $ free
          total used free shared buffers cached
          Mem: 193068 190436 2632 63608 37884 37852
          -/+ buffers/cache: 114700 78368
          Swap: 262136 80472 181664

          In 'top' you don't get the second line (of how much memory is used and not
          for caching/buffering) which is the relevant number regarding free memory.
          Judging from what 'top' claims, I only have 2MB free (but in fact I have
          some extra 75MB that are currently used for buffers and such, but can be
          allocated to processes, should they request).

          (to get a constantt monitor: 'watch free', or 'watch "free; df"')

        • Boaz Rymland
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2001
            RE: [gnubies-il] a few questions about unix

            1) I guess you compiled it not as root (which is o.k.). It is a safety mechanism that will prevent a user from clogging the filesystem. although it will report 100% full, some small percent will be left for root. You shouldn't try to fully load it, as there are usually some "nice" unexpected results/errors occurring with that (some command will not work and you would not know why, on first sight, plus other strange behavior ).

            3 + 4). df --help is you friend (it will teach you a few things, probably).
                    free , top , vmstat , lots of them...

            boaz.

            I have been tring to copmile mozila (since I cannot find a binary that is
            linked against glibc 2.1) and this beast to gorwing abuot 560 Mbytes! when I
            reach 60 Mbtyes free on /, I get the worst error I could get: no more space
            left on device.

            1) can it be possible? (how can I make it run until there is .00001 bytes
            free? reconfigure?)
            2) how can I know which mozilla veriosn I am compiling? (some 0.9, I could
            not find where it says exactly which version)
            3) how can I know how much free space I have left on a device (I have beenu
            using control centre and  krusader for this)
            4) how can I know how much free memory I have (RAM) ?

            - diego

            Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/0XFolB/TM

          • mulix
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2001
              On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, dgi dgi_il wrote:

              > 2) how can I know which mozilla veriosn I am compiling? (some 0.9, I could
              > not find where it says exactly which version)

              'grep -r -i version *' will probably give you the answer.
              'grep -i version Makefile*' in the top level mozilla dir will probably
              give you the answer as well, faster.

              in general, you have the unix tools at your finger tips - use them!
              --
              mulix
              http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

              linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead
            • dgi dgi_il
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2001
                I have tried it, (i used mc instead of gerp but the principle is the same).
                no luck I also looked at .cpp files, no help

                tzafrir: how do I disable debugging in ./configure and how much did it take
                in the end (both the diretory source and lets say ~/mozilla, i want to
                oinstall the beast into it's own tree so it will be easier to my to compress
                and restore later.)

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2001
                  Hi

                  On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, dgi dgi_il wrote:

                  > tzafrir: how do I disable debugging in ./configure and how much did it take
                  > in the end (both the diretory source and lets say ~/mozilla, i want to
                  > oinstall the beast into it's own tree so it will be easier to my to compress
                  > and restore later.)

                  my tree is around 325MB. I think that it is fully built.

                  It is from the cooker source RPM of mozilla.

                  BTW: the 'configure' line from that RPM spec file:

                  BUILD_OFFICIAL=1 ./configure --prefix=%{_prefix} \
                  --enable-optimize --disable-debug \
                  --enable-strip-libs --disable-tests --enable-mathml \
                  --enable-svg --enable-crypto\
                  --with-default-mozilla-five-home=%{_libdir}/mozilla \
                  --with-extensions --disable-short-wchar

                  ( %{_prefix} is '/usr' and %{_libdir} is '/usr/lib' )

                  The script also runs:

                  BUILD_OFFICIAL=1 make -j$NPROCS -s export
                  BUILD_OFFICIAL=1 make -j$NPROCS -s install

                  (-j$NPROC is non-relevant for a single-use computer. Although some people
                  would rather run -j2 , so that whenever one build process is busy with IO,
                  the other can use the CPU. Anyway, '-s export' is probably the relevant
                  part)

                • dgi dgi_il
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
                    does it include bidi support?
                    how do I onlu build some parts (i dont need news,mail etc?) point me to to
                    the docs (which are not on the source)

                    - diego

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2001
                      On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, dgi dgi_il wrote:

                      > does it include bidi support?

                      bidi support is in by default since 0.9.1 (in nightly builds: since around
                      10-may-2001).

                      > how do I onlu build some parts (i dont need news,mail etc?) point me to to
                      > the docs (which are not on the source)

                      According to the help message of the configure script:

                      $ ./configure --help |grep mail
                      --disable-mailnews Disable building of mail & news components

                      There are also a number of other --disable-* options. I have no idea which
                      of them will save you much build time. Try runnig './configure --help'