File Permissions

  • Amir Abiri
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2001
      I don't fully understand the issue of file permissions appenrently since i'm
      trying to do something here and keep failing:
      I have a Directory, call it /usr/dir for now. it belongs to user A and group
      B.
      it's permissions are: rwxrwxr-x.
      now i have a user C.
      I want C to have write permissions to this directory, without changing the
      directory's permissions.
      I thought all i had to do was insert C to group B. But apperently that
      didn't work (i run: "gpasswd -a C B").
      What am i doing wrong ?

      --
      foreach $task in (</etc/current_workplace/tasks); do
      find_someone_to_do_it --default=amir 2> /dev/amir; done
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2001
        On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Amir Abiri wrote:

        > I don't fully understand the issue of file permissions appenrently since i'm
        > trying to do something here and keep failing:
        > I have a Directory, call it /usr/dir for now. it belongs to user A and group
        > B.
        > it's permissions are: rwxrwxr-x.
        > now i have a user C.
        > I want C to have write permissions to this directory, without changing the
        > directory's permissions.
        > I thought all i had to do was insert C to group B. But apperently that
        > didn't work (i run: "gpasswd -a C B").
        > What am i doing wrong ?

        run 'groups' from that user's shell. Keep in mind that a user is being
        added to groups at login time. So if there is an already active session
        of user C, this will still not affect that session. Try loggining in from
        another terminal as C (or restart the program as C, or whatever)>