Resolution problem

  • HAGAI ATTIAS
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi, i've got a problem and i thought maybe you could help me here,
      I'm using RH 7.0 KDE and ym screen resolution is very very high, so high
      that everything is so small, and it's a real trouble to browse sites and
      everything else like that.
      maybe u can tell me where can i change the Display resolutionso i can see
      things bigger?
      i tried looking the display properties with no luck.
      10q.
      Hagai.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
        On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Boaz Rymland wrote:

        > You change display resolution, as well as (almost) all other parameters for
        > the display (called, for short - 'X') in the XF86Config file. This file sits
        > in different locations for different distributions.

        On Redhat it will be either /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

        /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is used if you use XFree86 version 4 (if it exists
        then there are good chances that it is actually used)

      • Boaz Rymland
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
          RE: [gnubies-il] Resolution problem

          You change display resolution, as well as (almost) all other parameters for the display (called, for short - 'X') in the XF86Config file. This file sits in different locations for different distributions.

          I'm not in front of a Linux machine right now, but IIRC, you need to find the "display section" in this file and make your changes there. Much more info can be obtained with "man XF86Config" command. I advise you to take a little journey there... :-)

          There's also much info on the web for X tweaking.

          Also, for such Q (or indeed, each time you're not sure) describe a little your machine: what distro (which you did), what Window manager (KDE[1|2]/Gnome/etc). If its about X settings also the display adaptor and monitor cant harm. Any other info you think might be relevant.

          good luck,
          boaz.

          Hi, i've got a problem and i thought maybe you could help me here,
          I'm using RH 7.0 KDE and ym screen resolution is very very high, so high
          that everything is so small, and it's a real trouble to browse sites and
          everything else like that.
          maybe u can tell me where can i change the Display resolutionso i can see
          things bigger?
          i tried looking the display properties with no luck.
          10q.
          Hagai.

          Small business owners...
          Tell us what you think!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/0XFolB/TM

        • Amir Abiri
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
            > Hi, i've got a problem and i thought maybe you could help me here,
            > I'm using RH 7.0 KDE and ym screen resolution is very very high, so high
            > that everything is so small, and it's a real trouble to browse sites and
            > everything else like that.
            > maybe u can tell me where can i change the Display resolutionso i can see
            > things bigger?
            > i tried looking the display properties with no luck.
            > 10q.
            > Hagai.

            You can configure X to more then one resolution setting, and then you can
            switch between the possibilites you configured using CRTL +/-.

            --
            foreach $task in (</etc/current_workplace/tasks); do
            find_someone_to_do_it --default=amir 2> /dev/amir; done
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
              >From: "HAGAI ATTIAS" <hattias@...>
              >To: gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [gnubies-il] Resolution problem
              >Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:43:42
              >
              >Hi, i've got a problem and i thought maybe you could help me here,
              >I'm using RH 7.0 KDE and ym screen resolution is very very high, so high
              >that everything is so small, and it's a real trouble to browse sites and
              >everything else like that.
              >maybe u can tell me where can i change the Display resolutionso i can see
              >things bigger?
              >i tried looking the display properties with no luck.
              >10q.
              >Hagai.

              Enter the console as root and run Xconfigurator (with a capital X).
              HTH