Re: [gnubies-il] Hebrew keyboard

  • Chaim Seymour
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2011
      Hi

      I followed your advice to see if the file works. The 'cat' command reproduced the file, but I still don't have Hebrew.

      I assume that I am doing something stupid and the whole thing is something minor.

      I tried the Google virtual keyboard and it works beautifully. The pity is that it can't be used on other applications

      shabbat shalom

      Chaim

      On 23 September 2011 10:04, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

      Hi Chaim,

      On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:51:44 +0300
      Chaim Seymour <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > Many thanks to Shlomi. I still seem to need your collective wisdom.
      >
      > I set up the file: .Xkbmap. I took the content from the editor by
      > cut/paste. I don't see the file in my file-cabinet,

      that's because files with a leading period (".") are considered hidden.

      > but the xterminal
      > reads it when I give a 'more' command.

      OK, I should note that generally the "less" command is superior to more and you
      should use it instead. To exit it press "q".

      > I installed SBL Hebrew and can see it in the list of fonts within Open
      > Office.
      >
      > However, I still don't have Hebrew printing in Open Office, Xterminal,
      > Chrome or Evolution.

      Do you mean Hebrew "typing" (הקלדה) rather than Hebrew "printing" (הדפסה)? If
      so, you should try restarting your X session for the ".Xkbmap" file to take
      effect.

      You can apply such a file immediately by saying:

      $ setxkbmap $(cat .Xkbmap)

      But this won't test that it is a permanent change.

      > I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have any ideas?
      >
      > Chaim
      >
      > On ה', 2011-09-22 at 12:38 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > > Hi Chaim,
      > >
      > > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:14:55 -0000
      > > "chaim.seymour" <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi
      > > >
      > > > I am a super-gnuby. I am learning as I go along.
      > > >
      > > > So far I succeed in installing the Fedora 15 with Hebrew support. I can read Hebrew and all my menus are in Hebrew but I can't write Hebrew.
      > > >
      > > > I tried a search and found all the answers were KDE. The Fedora uses Gnome 3. Can anybody help me with a simple answer how to solve the Hebrew writing problem?
      > > >

      > > Try putting this line in a text file called .Xkbmap (note the "." and the
      > > capital "X") in your home directory:
      > >
      > > «
      > > -option compose:ralt,grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll
      > > -variant ,lyx us,il »
      > >
      > > Then you'll be able to type LeftAlt+LeftShift to switch to Hebrew.
      > >
      > > For more information, see my tip here:
      > >
      > > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.region.israel/43351
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Shlomi Fish

      Chaim Seymour
      David Elazar 8
      Givat Shemuel 54032
      Israel
      tel: 972-3-5320560
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 23, 2011
        Hi Chaim,

        On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:01:59 +0300
        Chaim Seymour <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I followed your advice to see if the file works. The 'cat' command
        > reproduced the file, but I still don't have Hebrew.

        Does this command work for the current session (in a terminal)?

        setxkbmap $(cat .Xkbmap)

        > I assume that I am doing something stupid and the whole thing is something
        > minor.
        >
        > I tried the Google virtual keyboard and it works beautifully. The pity is
        > that it can't be used on other applications
        >
        > shabbat shalom

        Shabbath Shalom and Shanah Tovah.

        > Chaim

      • Chaim Seymour
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2011
          שלום רב

          העברית היא תוצאה של פקודה:

           setxkbmap -option compose:ralt,grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll  -variant ,lyx us,il

          בשורה  אחת. עד כאן טוב

          בברכת שנה טובה

          חיים

          On 23 September 2011 17:35, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

          Hi Chaim,

          On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:01:59 +0300

          Chaim Seymour <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I followed your advice to see if the file works. The 'cat' command
          > reproduced the file, but I still don't have Hebrew.

          Does this command work for the current session (in a terminal)?

          setxkbmap $(cat .Xkbmap)

          > I assume that I am doing something stupid and the whole thing is something
          > minor.
          >
          > I tried the Google virtual keyboard and it works beautifully. The pity is
          > that it can't be used on other applications
          >
          > shabbat shalom

          Shabbath Shalom and Shanah Tovah.

          > Chaim

          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
          "Star Trek: We, the Living Dead" - http://shlom.in/st-wtld

          There is no IGLU Cabal! Home‐made Cabals eventually superseded the power and
          influence of the original IGLU Cabal, which was considered a cutting edge
          development at its time.

          Chaim Seymour
          David Elazar 8
          Givat Shemuel 54032