Hebrew keyboard

  • chaim.seymour
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2011
      Hi

      I am a super-gnuby. I am learning as I go along.

      So far I succeed in installing the Fedora 15 with Hebrew support. I can read Hebrew and all my menus are in Hebrew but I can't write Hebrew.

      I tried a search and found all the answers were KDE. The Fedora uses Gnome 3. Can anybody help me with a simple answer how to solve the Hebrew writing problem?

      Thanks in advance

      Chaim
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2011
        Hi Chaim,

        On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:14:55 -0000
        "chaim.seymour" <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I am a super-gnuby. I am learning as I go along.
        >
        > So far I succeed in installing the Fedora 15 with Hebrew support. I can read Hebrew and all my menus are in Hebrew but I can't write Hebrew.
        >
        > I tried a search and found all the answers were KDE. The Fedora uses Gnome 3. Can anybody help me with a simple answer how to solve the Hebrew writing problem?

        Try putting this line in a text file called .Xkbmap (note the "." and the
        capital "X") in your home directory:

        «
        -option compose:ralt,grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll
        -variant ,lyx us,il »

        Then you'll be able to type LeftAlt+LeftShift to switch to Hebrew.

        For more information, see my tip here:

        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.region.israel/43351

      • Chaim Seymour
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2011
          Hi all

          Many thanks to Shlomi. I still seem to need your collective wisdom.

          I set up the file: .Xkbmap. I took the content from the editor by
          cut/paste. I don't see the file in my file-cabinet, but the xterminal
          reads it when I give a 'more' command.

          I installed SBL Hebrew and can see it in the list of fonts within Open
          Office.

          However, I still don't have Hebrew printing in Open Office, Xterminal,
          Chrome or Evolution.

          I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have any ideas?

          Chaim

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2011
            Hi Chaim,

            On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:51:44 +0300
            Chaim Seymour <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

            > Hi all
            >
            > Many thanks to Shlomi. I still seem to need your collective wisdom.
            >
            > I set up the file: .Xkbmap. I took the content from the editor by
            > cut/paste. I don't see the file in my file-cabinet,

            that's because files with a leading period (".") are considered hidden.

            > but the xterminal
            > reads it when I give a 'more' command.

            OK, I should note that generally the "less" command is superior to more and you
            should use it instead. To exit it press "q".

            > I installed SBL Hebrew and can see it in the list of fonts within Open
            > Office.
            >
            > However, I still don't have Hebrew printing in Open Office, Xterminal,
            > Chrome or Evolution.

            Do you mean Hebrew "typing" (הקלדה) rather than Hebrew "printing" (הדפסה)? If
            so, you should try restarting your X session for the ".Xkbmap" file to take
            effect.

            You can apply such a file immediately by saying:

            $ setxkbmap $(cat .Xkbmap)

            But this won't test that it is a permanent change.

            > I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have any ideas?
            >
            > Chaim
            >
            > On ה', 2011-09-22 at 12:38 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
            > > Hi Chaim,
            > >
            > > On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:14:55 -0000
            > > "chaim.seymour" <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi
            > > >
            > > > I am a super-gnuby. I am learning as I go along.
            > > >
            > > > So far I succeed in installing the Fedora 15 with Hebrew support. I can read Hebrew and all my menus are in Hebrew but I can't write Hebrew.
            > > >
            > > > I tried a search and found all the answers were KDE. The Fedora uses Gnome 3. Can anybody help me with a simple answer how to solve the Hebrew writing problem?
            > > >

            > > Try putting this line in a text file called .Xkbmap (note the "." and the
            > > capital "X") in your home directory:
            > >
            > > «
            > > -option compose:ralt,grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll
            > > -variant ,lyx us,il »
            > >
            > > Then you'll be able to type LeftAlt+LeftShift to switch to Hebrew.
            > >
            > > For more information, see my tip here:
            > >
            > > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.region.israel/43351
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Shlomi Fish

          • Chaim Seymour
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2011
              Hi

              I followed your advice to see if the file works. The 'cat' command reproduced the file, but I still don't have Hebrew.

              I assume that I am doing something stupid and the whole thing is something minor.

              I tried the Google virtual keyboard and it works beautifully. The pity is that it can't be used on other applications

              shabbat shalom

              Chaim

              Chaim Seymour
              David Elazar 8
              Givat Shemuel 54032
              Israel
              tel: 972-3-5320560
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2011
                Hi Chaim,

                On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:01:59 +0300
                Chaim Seymour <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > I followed your advice to see if the file works. The 'cat' command
                > reproduced the file, but I still don't have Hebrew.

                Does this command work for the current session (in a terminal)?

                setxkbmap $(cat .Xkbmap)

                > I assume that I am doing something stupid and the whole thing is something
                > minor.
                >
                > I tried the Google virtual keyboard and it works beautifully. The pity is
                > that it can't be used on other applications
                >
                > shabbat shalom

                Shabbath Shalom and Shanah Tovah.

                > Chaim

              • Chaim Seymour
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 24, 2011
                  שלום רב

                  העברית היא תוצאה של פקודה:

                   setxkbmap -option compose:ralt,grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll  -variant ,lyx us,il

                  בשורה  אחת. עד כאן טוב

                  בברכת שנה טובה

                  חיים

                  On 23 September 2011 17:35, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                  Hi Chaim,

                  On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:01:59 +0300

                  Chaim Seymour <chaim.seymour@...> wrote:

                  > Hi
                  >
                  > I followed your advice to see if the file works. The 'cat' command
                  > reproduced the file, but I still don't have Hebrew.

                  Does this command work for the current session (in a terminal)?

                  setxkbmap $(cat .Xkbmap)

                  > I assume that I am doing something stupid and the whole thing is something
                  > minor.
                  >
                  > I tried the Google virtual keyboard and it works beautifully. The pity is
                  > that it can't be used on other applications
                  >
                  > shabbat shalom

                  Shabbath Shalom and Shanah Tovah.

                  > Chaim

                  Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                  "Star Trek: We, the Living Dead" - http://shlom.in/st-wtld

                  There is no IGLU Cabal! Home‐made Cabals eventually superseded the power and
                  influence of the original IGLU Cabal, which was considered a cutting edge
                  development at its time.

                  Chaim Seymour
                  David Elazar 8
                  Givat Shemuel 54032