Re: [gnubies-il] Thank you all

  • Yaakov Bar Nahman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
      BS"D
      Todah Oded.
      Yaakov

      On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...> wrote:

      On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 21:38 +0200, Yaakov Bar Nahman wrote:
      > Does anyone know if there is a place I could send a copy of a
      > particular program, or relevant part of a program, for to to be
      > checked for Linux compliance?

      I don't think that something like that exist. If its a software that's
      available for the general public, then it probably is listed in Wine's
      application database: http://appdb.winehq.org/

      Otherwise - you'd just have to try for yourself.

      > Also I read that Ubuntu 10.1 has become heavily "touch screen"

      a. That is 10.10 and not 10.1: it's a date (October 2010) not a decimal
      number.
      b. The default laptop experience for Ubuntu 10.10 is what they call
      "Unity" which is very much geared towards touch screens. If you are
      interested in a more "classic" desktop experience then you only need to
      install Ubuntu normally and when the login screen comes up - from the
      bottom "session" menu select "Classic Desktop".

      > I need for documents, scanning, handling voice & music recordings,
      > photos, & the medical programs (which use graphics) for my (mostly
      > charity) clinic.

      Free Linux native software is available for most of these, so you
      wouldn't need to rely on running Windows programs - except for probably
      your medical programs which I guess were not written with Linux in mind
      - these you'd need to run on Wine and its also likely it won't run nice
      on Wine - because niche software tends to be like that.

      I would've put up some virtual machine based setup but that will take
      some know-how to set up properly.

      > As for "Open Office" I tried it and was disappointed. Less functional
      > than MS Office & a real bummer when I wanted to put 2 different
      > language types in the same document (i.e. 1 ltr & the other rtl).
      > Inserting pictures & drawing was complicated too.

      If you need an office suite and OpenOffice.org is not to your liking,
      tthen you are left with very few options. If you have a Microsoft Office
      license, and you're willing to run an earlier version of MS-Office
      (2007, maybe 2003) then I suggest you purchase a copy of Crossover
      Office (for something like $30) which is a product based on Wine that is
      optimized to run Microsoft Office under Linux (and many other popular
      Windows software titles), that is very easy to setup and get going and
      there is no tweaking or geeking involved ;-) They don't support the
      latest Microsoft Office, but they'd get you going easily with an earlier
      version.

      --
      Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>

      --
      Hhaza"l said: "Ein Torah lelo derekh eress"
      Rav Shalom Arush says: "Torah study that is done with insulting or degrading another gives power to the "dark side"".

    • Shimon Lebowitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
        I don't really remember installing a "Hebrew version". Actually, my guess
        would be that a Hebrew version means that the menus and such appear in Hebrew,
        which I personally would NOT want (I am a native English speaker).

        Before I go into any details I will mention that my OO is 3.0.0,
        and it is quite possible that there are newer versions, which
        might work differently.

        In order to put the RtL icon in the Formatting toolbar, try this:
        click View -> Toolbars and make sure the Formatting toolbar is turned on.
        Then, again click View -> Toolbars -> Customize (this is at the
        bottom of the menu, below all the toolbar names).

        Customize pops up a window, which has at the top a place to choose
        the toolbar you want to work with, and a drop-down list of them.
        Click the down-arrow of the list, and change the setting from Standard
        to Formatting.

        Now look at the Commands box below the toolbar name.
        As you scroll down you see the function names of the various
        icons on that toolbar, and lines of dashes (hyphens) between groups
        of related functions. After the alignment options (align left, centered,
        right, justified) I have a group separator, followed by LtR and RtL.

        You can put these in by clicking on the last alignment option,
        to select it, then click the Modify button on the right, and choose
        "Begin a group" from its list. This will put in a group separator line.
        Then Click the Add button (right above the Modify).

        The Add button gives you a new window with a gazillion (or, in Hebrew:
        malant-alafim) possible functions to add to the toolbar. First, in the left panel,
        choose the Format category. Then, in the right panel, choose the Left-to-Right
        command, and then click the Add button on the right. Now scroll down in the
        Commands list till Right-to-Left, select it, and again click Add.
        Now click Close. and then OK to leave the Customize window.

        Your toolbar is ready for Hebrew!

        But, I just remembered another VERY IMPORTANT setting for working with Hebrew.
        Click Tools -> Options
        In the navigation tree of the Options panel, on the left, go to the
        Language Settings section. If the section is collapsed (and shows a + next to it),
        then click the + to open it (+ changes to -), and see the contents of the section.
        Click on Languages to open the Languages options panel.

        This panel has three areas, the bottom one is called
        Enhanced Language Support. Make sure that the second option,
        Enabled for Complex Text Layout (CTL) is checked!!
        Once this option is turned on, it enables the CTL option in the center
        section, called Default Language for Documents.

        Set the CTL language to Hebrew. Click OK.

        I hope this helps!!
        Shimon

        P.S. lots of distros either claim, or have adherents who claim for them, to be
        "just right" for people with previous Windows experience. Try Google. :-)
        in any event, I think almost any but the most extreme Linux fanatic will
        agree that there is NO Linux distribution available that will work
        perfectly "out of the box", the way people have gotten used to Windows working.
        Sorry.

        On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Yaakov Bar Nahman <webdoar@...> wrote:

        Shimon Todah!
        Does this work in either the "English" version or the "Hebrew" version or in either?
        What is the difference/similarity between "Writer" & "Word" (if that is not toooo long & difficult to answer)?
        How do I put in the "Right-to-Left" toolbar icon? Is there any other feature important for Hebrew?

        Maybe my Question should be which distro' is simplest to use with still being able to do important basic functions (e.g. I don't need one with all kinds of "customizations" features)?

        todah raba
        Yaakov

        On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Shimon Lebowitz <shimonleb@...> wrote:

        Just to let you know that I use OpenOffice, in English *and* Hebrew,
        and once I got it set up, it works fine for me.
        I mostly use Writer (instead of "Word"), so I cannot say much about the other programs.

        One of the most important features I had to put in was "Right-to-Left" toolbar icon,
        which makes all the punctuation work like in Hebrew. Until I got that set up,
        Hebrew looked a mess.

        About what distro... wow... that is almost a religious question!! Everyone KNOWS
        that the one THEY use is best!! :-)  (I am on PCLINUXOS 2009, because I did
        not like the changes they put into 2010 version).

        Also, remember that different distros use different desktop GUIs. For example,
        I have been using KDE for years, but many use Gnome (I believe Ubuntu among them).
        So you might want to read about the various desktops before you decide.

        Shimon

        On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Yaakov Bar Nahman <webdoar@...> wrote:

        BS"D
        Thank you all for good relevant information & advice.
        Does anyone know if there is a place I could send a copy of a particular program, or relevant part of a program, for to to be checked for Linux compliance?

        Also I read that Ubuntu 10.1 has become heavily "touch screen" performance. So what if I do not have a touch screen. Would it be better to get a different Linux build?

        I don't look for being able to play around with tinkering & geeking & tweaking. I am very simply looking for a reliable stable OS, that I can run my programs on without the headaches of MS Win's. I need for documents, scanning, handling voice & music recordings, photos, & the medical programs (which use graphics) for my (mostly charity) clinic.

        As for "Open Office" I tried it and was disappointed. Less functional than MS Office & a real bummer when I wanted to put 2 different language types in the same document (i.e. 1 ltr & the other rtl). Inserting pictures & drawing was complicated too.

        Todah.Thanks
        YAakov