Re: [gnubies-il] Thank you all

  • Shimon Lebowitz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
      Just to let you know that I use OpenOffice, in English *and* Hebrew,
      and once I got it set up, it works fine for me.
      I mostly use Writer (instead of "Word"), so I cannot say much about the other programs.

      One of the most important features I had to put in was "Right-to-Left" toolbar icon,
      which makes all the punctuation work like in Hebrew. Until I got that set up,
      Hebrew looked a mess.

      About what distro... wow... that is almost a religious question!! Everyone KNOWS
      that the one THEY use is best!! :-)  (I am on PCLINUXOS 2009, because I did
      not like the changes they put into 2010 version).

      Also, remember that different distros use different desktop GUIs. For example,
      I have been using KDE for years, but many use Gnome (I believe Ubuntu among them).
      So you might want to read about the various desktops before you decide.

      Shimon

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Yaakov Bar Nahman <webdoar@...> wrote:

      BS"D
      Thank you all for good relevant information & advice.
      Does anyone know if there is a place I could send a copy of a particular program, or relevant part of a program, for to to be checked for Linux compliance?

      Also I read that Ubuntu 10.1 has become heavily "touch screen" performance. So what if I do not have a touch screen. Would it be better to get a different Linux build?

      I don't look for being able to play around with tinkering & geeking & tweaking. I am very simply looking for a reliable stable OS, that I can run my programs on without the headaches of MS Win's. I need for documents, scanning, handling voice & music recordings, photos, & the medical programs (which use graphics) for my (mostly charity) clinic.

      As for "Open Office" I tried it and was disappointed. Less functional than MS Office & a real bummer when I wanted to put 2 different language types in the same document (i.e. 1 ltr & the other rtl). Inserting pictures & drawing was complicated too.

      Todah.Thanks
      YAakov

      --
      Hhaza"l said: "Ein Torah lelo derekh eress"
      Rav Shalom Arush says: "Torah study that is done with insulting or degrading another gives power to the "dark side"".

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
        On Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 21:38:45 Yaakov Bar Nahman wrote:
        > BS"D
        > Thank you all for good relevant information & advice.
        > Does anyone know if there is a place I could send a copy of a particular
        > program, or relevant part of a program, for to to be checked for Linux
        > compliance?

        What? What do you mean by checked for Linux compliance?

        > Also I read that Ubuntu 10.1 has become heavily "touch screen" performance.
        > So what if I do not have a touch screen. Would it be better to get a
        > different Linux build?

        Ubuntu works fine without a touch screen.

        > I don't look for being able to play around with tinkering & geeking &
        > tweaking. I am very simply looking for a reliable stable OS, that I can run
        > my programs on without the headaches of MS Win's. I need for documents,
        > scanning, handling voice & music recordings, photos, & the medical programs
        > (which use graphics) for my (mostly charity) clinic.

        Well, if any of these medical programs don't have native versions, you may
        have to use WINE or VirtualBox or whatever.

        > As for "Open Office" I tried it and was disappointed. Less functional than
        > MS Office & a real bummer when I wanted to put 2 different language types
        > in the same document (i.e. 1 ltr & the other rtl).

        OpenOffice.org is indeed missing many features that MS Office has. That is
        expected, and hopefully this situation will improve in the future (possibly
        thanks to the recent LibreOffice fork).

        However, it has pretty good support for Bidirectional editing, though it uses
        Unicode as its model for that instead of Microsoft's different Unicode model.

        > Inserting pictures &
        > drawing was complicated too.

        It should be doable.

        > Todah.Thanks
        > YAakov

      • Oded Arbel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
          On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 21:38 +0200, Yaakov Bar Nahman wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a place I could send a copy of a > particular program, or relevant part of a program, for to to be > checked for Linux compliance? I don't think that something like that exist. If its a software that's available for the general public, then it probably is listed in Wine's application database: http://appdb.winehq.org/ Otherwise - you'd just have to try for yourself. > Also I read that Ubuntu 10.1 has become heavily "touch screen" a. That is 10.10 and not 10.1: it's a date (October 2010) not a decimal number. b. The default laptop experience for Ubuntu 10.10 is what they call "Unity" which is very much geared towards touch screens. If you are interested in a more "classic" desktop experience then you only need to install Ubuntu normally and when the login screen comes up - from the bottom "session" menu select "Classic Desktop". > I need for documents, scanning, handling voice & music recordings, > photos, & the medical programs (which use graphics) for my (mostly > charity) clinic. Free Linux native software is available for most of these, so you wouldn't need to rely on running Windows programs - except for probably your medical programs which I guess were not written with Linux in mind - these you'd need to run on Wine and its also likely it won't run nice on Wine - because niche software tends to be like that. I would've put up some virtual machine based setup but that will take some know-how to set up properly. > As for "Open Office" I tried it and was disappointed. Less functional > than MS Office & a real bummer when I wanted to put 2 different > language types in the same document (i.e. 1 ltr & the other rtl). > Inserting pictures & drawing was complicated too. If you need an office suite and OpenOffice.org is not to your liking, tthen you are left with very few options. If you have a Microsoft Office license, and you're willing to run an earlier version of MS-Office (2007, maybe 2003) then I suggest you purchase a copy of Crossover Office (for something like $30) which is a product based on Wine that is optimized to run Microsoft Office under Linux (and many other popular Windows software titles), that is very easy to setup and get going and there is no tweaking or geeking involved ;-) They don't support the latest Microsoft Office, but they'd get you going easily with an earlier version.

          --
          Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>
        • Yaakov Bar Nahman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
            Shimon Todah!
            Does this work in either the "English" version or the "Hebrew" version or in either?
            What is the difference/similarity between "Writer" & "Word" (if that is not toooo long & difficult to answer)?
            How do I put in the "Right-to-Left" toolbar icon? Is there any other feature important for Hebrew?

            Maybe my Question should be which distro' is simplest to use with still being able to do important basic functions (e.g. I don't need one with all kinds of "customizations" features)?

            todah raba
            Yaakov

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
              BS"D
              Todah Oded.
              Yaakov

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
                I don't really remember installing a "Hebrew version". Actually, my guess
                would be that a Hebrew version means that the menus and such appear in Hebrew,
                which I personally would NOT want (I am a native English speaker).

                Before I go into any details I will mention that my OO is 3.0.0,
                and it is quite possible that there are newer versions, which
                might work differently.

                In order to put the RtL icon in the Formatting toolbar, try this:
                click View -> Toolbars and make sure the Formatting toolbar is turned on.
                Then, again click View -> Toolbars -> Customize (this is at the
                bottom of the menu, below all the toolbar names).

                Customize pops up a window, which has at the top a place to choose
                the toolbar you want to work with, and a drop-down list of them.
                Click the down-arrow of the list, and change the setting from Standard
                to Formatting.

                Now look at the Commands box below the toolbar name.
                As you scroll down you see the function names of the various
                icons on that toolbar, and lines of dashes (hyphens) between groups
                of related functions. After the alignment options (align left, centered,
                right, justified) I have a group separator, followed by LtR and RtL.

                You can put these in by clicking on the last alignment option,
                to select it, then click the Modify button on the right, and choose
                "Begin a group" from its list. This will put in a group separator line.
                Then Click the Add button (right above the Modify).

                The Add button gives you a new window with a gazillion (or, in Hebrew:
                malant-alafim) possible functions to add to the toolbar. First, in the left panel,
                choose the Format category. Then, in the right panel, choose the Left-to-Right
                command, and then click the Add button on the right. Now scroll down in the
                Commands list till Right-to-Left, select it, and again click Add.
                Now click Close. and then OK to leave the Customize window.

                Your toolbar is ready for Hebrew!

                But, I just remembered another VERY IMPORTANT setting for working with Hebrew.
                Click Tools -> Options
                In the navigation tree of the Options panel, on the left, go to the
                Language Settings section. If the section is collapsed (and shows a + next to it),
                then click the + to open it (+ changes to -), and see the contents of the section.
                Click on Languages to open the Languages options panel.

                This panel has three areas, the bottom one is called
                Enhanced Language Support. Make sure that the second option,
                Enabled for Complex Text Layout (CTL) is checked!!
                Once this option is turned on, it enables the CTL option in the center
                section, called Default Language for Documents.

                Set the CTL language to Hebrew. Click OK.

                I hope this helps!!
                Shimon

                P.S. lots of distros either claim, or have adherents who claim for them, to be
                "just right" for people with previous Windows experience. Try Google. :-)
                in any event, I think almost any but the most extreme Linux fanatic will
                agree that there is NO Linux distribution available that will work
                perfectly "out of the box", the way people have gotten used to Windows working.
                Sorry.