Re: [gnubies-il] Linux on laptop

  • Oded Arbel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
      > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:
      > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

      Most modern Linux distributions will work out of the box on any standard
      laptop.

      Additionally both Ubuntu 10.10, KUbuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 worked
      nicely for me, though Ubuntu has lately gone a bit too much "touch
      interface" for my taste: it works great if you have a touch screen on
      your laptop (there are some like that) but otherwise its not very
      convenient (IMHO).

      > What addon(s) would one need to use Windows based programs inside
      Linux & would this mean a slowdown of functioning?

      On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:40 +0200, kopolov@... wrote:
      > About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine
      > (short for "WINdows Emulator)

      WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.
      Because its not an emulator -it does not emulate anything but lets the
      Windows binary's x86 code run directly on your x86 CPU - it just
      translates the WIN32 API calls to X11 calls in a mostly straight-forward
      manner. As a result performance is largely comparable to running the
      same application on a "real Windows" with the same hardware. The main
      exceptions are that compared to Vista/7 Windows apps are expected to run
      slightly better because of the better memory management of Linux, and
      DirectX games are expected to run slightly slower because the 3D driver
      support for Linux is not as good as in Windows.

      --
      Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>