Re: [gnubies-il] Linux on laptop

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
      Hi Yaakov,

      On Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 01:43:08 Yaakov wrote:
      > Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
      > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

      Well, I've successfully installed Mandriva Linux on my Acer Laptop. Here are
      its specs:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#computers-specs

      There's a list of some other recommended distributions for beginners (which
      are usually also useful for advanced users too) here:

      http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

      > What addon(s) would one need to
      > use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of
      > functioning?

      Well, like other people said, you can run Windows and DOS applications using
      WINE (wine is not an emulator), which is not guaranteed to always run these
      applications correctly, due to the complexity and quirkiness of the Windows
      operating systems and duplicating its implementation. You can also run Windows
      inside a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox. A Virtual Machine emulator will
      likely run the guest OS at a reduced speed, but it usually will be fast
      enough. WINE is fast enough to run many Windows-based games.

      > What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?

      I don't know. I've bought my laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and kept the
      Windows installation there in case I would need it. I did repartition the hard
      disk to make room for the Mandriva installation, but I can still boot into the
      Windows 7 partition if I wish.

    • Oded Arbel
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
        > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:
        > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

        Most modern Linux distributions will work out of the box on any standard
        laptop.

        Additionally both Ubuntu 10.10, KUbuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 worked
        nicely for me, though Ubuntu has lately gone a bit too much "touch
        interface" for my taste: it works great if you have a touch screen on
        your laptop (there are some like that) but otherwise its not very
        convenient (IMHO).

        On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:40 +0200, kopolov@... wrote:
        > About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine
        > (short for "WINdows Emulator)

        WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.
        Because its not an emulator -it does not emulate anything but lets the
        Windows binary's x86 code run directly on your x86 CPU - it just
        translates the WIN32 API calls to X11 calls in a mostly straight-forward
        manner. As a result performance is largely comparable to running the
        same application on a "real Windows" with the same hardware. The main
        exceptions are that compared to Vista/7 Windows apps are expected to run
        slightly better because of the better memory management of Linux, and
        DirectX games are expected to run slightly slower because the 3D driver
        support for Linux is not as good as in Windows.

        --
        Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>