Re: [gnubies-il] Linux on laptop

  • kopolov@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
      10x for the update (liked it ... :)   )

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Shimon Lebowitz <shimonleb@...> wrote:

      Actually, WINE is an acronym for
      W_ine I_s N_ot an E_mulator, because it allows Windows programs written
      for the underlying architecture to run natively. The only thing Wine does is catch
      the system calls and make the program "think" there is a Windows system providing
      services.

      Supposedly the original intention of the authors was that WINE would in fact mean
      WINdows Emulator, but that changed long ago.

      I use Wine myself, and am pretty happy with it, but you must be aware that it is definitely limited.
      In general, you will be better off using real Linux applications on a Linux system.
      I use Wine for a few things that I am semi-addicted to ;-) (I also installed DOSEMU
      and run a few DOS based apps!)

      Shimon

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM, kopolov@... <kopolov@...> wrote:

      Well,
      I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on my ThinkPad W500 and it works gr8.
      About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine (short for "WINdows Emulator)
      You must understand however that wine does not mean all windows programs will necessary runs on it, or runs well.
      I don't know about laptop coming preinstalled with some Linux version, thought Dell used to sell Ubuntu based laptops till recently.

      Hope this helps,
      Hagai

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:

      Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
      What type of linux OS is best for laptops? What addon(s) would one need to use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of functioning?

      What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?
      Todah
      Yaakov

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
        Hi Yaakov,

        On Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 01:43:08 Yaakov wrote:
        > Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
        > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

        Well, I've successfully installed Mandriva Linux on my Acer Laptop. Here are
        its specs:

        http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#computers-specs

        There's a list of some other recommended distributions for beginners (which
        are usually also useful for advanced users too) here:

        http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

        > What addon(s) would one need to
        > use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of
        > functioning?

        Well, like other people said, you can run Windows and DOS applications using
        WINE (wine is not an emulator), which is not guaranteed to always run these
        applications correctly, due to the complexity and quirkiness of the Windows
        operating systems and duplicating its implementation. You can also run Windows
        inside a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox. A Virtual Machine emulator will
        likely run the guest OS at a reduced speed, but it usually will be fast
        enough. WINE is fast enough to run many Windows-based games.

        > What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?

        I don't know. I've bought my laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and kept the
        Windows installation there in case I would need it. I did repartition the hard
        disk to make room for the Mandriva installation, but I can still boot into the
        Windows 7 partition if I wish.

      • Oded Arbel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
          > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:
          > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

          Most modern Linux distributions will work out of the box on any standard
          laptop.

          Additionally both Ubuntu 10.10, KUbuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 worked
          nicely for me, though Ubuntu has lately gone a bit too much "touch
          interface" for my taste: it works great if you have a touch screen on
          your laptop (there are some like that) but otherwise its not very
          convenient (IMHO).

          On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:40 +0200, kopolov@... wrote:
          > About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine
          > (short for "WINdows Emulator)

          WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.
          Because its not an emulator -it does not emulate anything but lets the
          Windows binary's x86 code run directly on your x86 CPU - it just
          translates the WIN32 API calls to X11 calls in a mostly straight-forward
          manner. As a result performance is largely comparable to running the
          same application on a "real Windows" with the same hardware. The main
          exceptions are that compared to Vista/7 Windows apps are expected to run
          slightly better because of the better memory management of Linux, and
          DirectX games are expected to run slightly slower because the 3D driver
          support for Linux is not as good as in Windows.

          --
          Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>