Re: [gnubies-il] Linux on laptop

  • kopolov@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
      Well,
      I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on my ThinkPad W500 and it works gr8.
      About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine (short for "WINdows Emulator)
      You must understand however that wine does not mean all windows programs will necessary runs on it, or runs well.
      I don't know about laptop coming preinstalled with some Linux version, thought Dell used to sell Ubuntu based laptops till recently.

      Hope this helps,
      Hagai

      On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:

      Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
      What type of linux OS is best for laptops? What addon(s) would one need to use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of functioning?

      What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?
      Todah
      Yaakov

    • Shimon Lebowitz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
        Actually, WINE is an acronym for
        W_ine I_s N_ot an E_mulator, because it allows Windows programs written
        for the underlying architecture to run natively. The only thing Wine does is catch
        the system calls and make the program "think" there is a Windows system providing
        services.

        Supposedly the original intention of the authors was that WINE would in fact mean
        WINdows Emulator, but that changed long ago.

        I use Wine myself, and am pretty happy with it, but you must be aware that it is definitely limited.
        In general, you will be better off using real Linux applications on a Linux system.
        I use Wine for a few things that I am semi-addicted to ;-) (I also installed DOSEMU
        and run a few DOS based apps!)

        Shimon

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
            Hi Yaakov,

            On Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 01:43:08 Yaakov wrote:
            > Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
            > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

            Well, I've successfully installed Mandriva Linux on my Acer Laptop. Here are
            its specs:

            http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#computers-specs

            There's a list of some other recommended distributions for beginners (which
            are usually also useful for advanced users too) here:

            http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

            > What addon(s) would one need to
            > use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of
            > functioning?

            Well, like other people said, you can run Windows and DOS applications using
            WINE (wine is not an emulator), which is not guaranteed to always run these
            applications correctly, due to the complexity and quirkiness of the Windows
            operating systems and duplicating its implementation. You can also run Windows
            inside a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox. A Virtual Machine emulator will
            likely run the guest OS at a reduced speed, but it usually will be fast
            enough. WINE is fast enough to run many Windows-based games.

            > What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?

            I don't know. I've bought my laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and kept the
            Windows installation there in case I would need it. I did repartition the hard
            disk to make room for the Mandriva installation, but I can still boot into the
            Windows 7 partition if I wish.

          • Oded Arbel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
              > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:
              > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

              Most modern Linux distributions will work out of the box on any standard
              laptop.

              Additionally both Ubuntu 10.10, KUbuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 worked
              nicely for me, though Ubuntu has lately gone a bit too much "touch
              interface" for my taste: it works great if you have a touch screen on
              your laptop (there are some like that) but otherwise its not very
              convenient (IMHO).

              On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:40 +0200, kopolov@... wrote:
              > About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine
              > (short for "WINdows Emulator)

              WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.
              Because its not an emulator -it does not emulate anything but lets the
              Windows binary's x86 code run directly on your x86 CPU - it just
              translates the WIN32 API calls to X11 calls in a mostly straight-forward
              manner. As a result performance is largely comparable to running the
              same application on a "real Windows" with the same hardware. The main
              exceptions are that compared to Vista/7 Windows apps are expected to run
              slightly better because of the better memory management of Linux, and
              DirectX games are expected to run slightly slower because the 3D driver
              support for Linux is not as good as in Windows.

              --
              Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>