Linux on laptop

  • Yaakov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2011
      Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
      What type of linux OS is best for laptops? What addon(s) would one need to use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of functioning?

      What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?
      Todah
      Yaakov
    • kopolov@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
        Well,
        I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on my ThinkPad W500 and it works gr8.
        About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine (short for "WINdows Emulator)
        You must understand however that wine does not mean all windows programs will necessary runs on it, or runs well.
        I don't know about laptop coming preinstalled with some Linux version, thought Dell used to sell Ubuntu based laptops till recently.

        Hope this helps,
        Hagai

        On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:

        Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
        What type of linux OS is best for laptops? What addon(s) would one need to use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of functioning?

        What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?
        Todah
        Yaakov

      • Shimon Lebowitz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
          Actually, WINE is an acronym for
          W_ine I_s N_ot an E_mulator, because it allows Windows programs written
          for the underlying architecture to run natively. The only thing Wine does is catch
          the system calls and make the program "think" there is a Windows system providing
          services.

          Supposedly the original intention of the authors was that WINE would in fact mean
          WINdows Emulator, but that changed long ago.

          I use Wine myself, and am pretty happy with it, but you must be aware that it is definitely limited.
          In general, you will be better off using real Linux applications on a Linux system.
          I use Wine for a few things that I am semi-addicted to ;-) (I also installed DOSEMU
          and run a few DOS based apps!)

          Shimon

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
              Hi Yaakov,

              On Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 01:43:08 Yaakov wrote:
              > Shalom; I'm totally new to this subject yet very inetersted.
              > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

              Well, I've successfully installed Mandriva Linux on my Acer Laptop. Here are
              its specs:

              http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#computers-specs

              There's a list of some other recommended distributions for beginners (which
              are usually also useful for advanced users too) here:

              http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

              > What addon(s) would one need to
              > use Windows based programs inside Linux & would this mean a slowdown of
              > functioning?

              Well, like other people said, you can run Windows and DOS applications using
              WINE (wine is not an emulator), which is not guaranteed to always run these
              applications correctly, due to the complexity and quirkiness of the Windows
              operating systems and duplicating its implementation. You can also run Windows
              inside a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox. A Virtual Machine emulator will
              likely run the guest OS at a reduced speed, but it usually will be fast
              enough. WINE is fast enough to run many Windows-based games.

              > What laptops are available with a linux OS already on it?

              I don't know. I've bought my laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and kept the
              Windows installation there in case I would need it. I did repartition the hard
              disk to make room for the Mandriva installation, but I can still boot into the
              Windows 7 partition if I wish.

            • Oded Arbel
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
                > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Yaakov <webdoar@...> wrote:
                > What type of linux OS is best for laptops?

                Most modern Linux distributions will work out of the box on any standard
                laptop.

                Additionally both Ubuntu 10.10, KUbuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 worked
                nicely for me, though Ubuntu has lately gone a bit too much "touch
                interface" for my taste: it works great if you have a touch screen on
                your laptop (there are some like that) but otherwise its not very
                convenient (IMHO).

                On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 13:40 +0200, kopolov@... wrote:
                > About running Windows apps on Ubuntu, you will need to install wine
                > (short for "WINdows Emulator)

                WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.
                Because its not an emulator -it does not emulate anything but lets the
                Windows binary's x86 code run directly on your x86 CPU - it just
                translates the WIN32 API calls to X11 calls in a mostly straight-forward
                manner. As a result performance is largely comparable to running the
                same application on a "real Windows" with the same hardware. The main
                exceptions are that compared to Vista/7 Windows apps are expected to run
                slightly better because of the better memory management of Linux, and
                DirectX games are expected to run slightly slower because the 3D driver
                support for Linux is not as good as in Windows.

                --
                Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...>