Re: [gnubies-il] installing LINUX on a laptop

  • Shimon Lebowitz
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2010
      Shalom Dotan,
      You are right that I *should* have filed a report, but no, I didn't. My friend just wanted his data back,
      and that was all that I really worked on.
      I myself am a linux user at home (PCLinuxOS for a few years), but I used assorted bootable
      DOS based tools for this 'job'.
      Shimon

      On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@...> wrote:

      On 9 May 2010 13:03, Shimon Lebowitz <shimonleb@...> wrote:

      > I will just comment that a friend of mine tried the Ubuntu dual-boot installation on his laptop, and then was unable to access his Windows data. He brought me the laptop, and I found that his partition table had been klobbered, and access to the NTFS partition was lost. I had to rebuild the table manually to recover access to the NTFS files. (Which took me a few days in my spare time)
      >
      > This was NOT fun, and he dropped the whole ubuntu idea.
      >
      > I have a suspicion that there might be a bug in the Ubuntu partitioner used in the dual-boot process. Thankfully the partition it built for itself did not actually overwrite any of the old data.
      >
      > Shimon

      That is some bug! What version of Ubuntu was that? I hope that you
      filed a bug with the hardware specs so that it might be looked into.
      I've done literally tens of Ubuntu installs (and other Linuxes, and
      tons of Windows installs) and I have not encountered that issue.

      The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the NTFS partition
      was horribly fragmented, and then the installer tried resizing? Might
      that be the case? Will the installer even try to resize NTFS?