Re: [gnubies-il] installing LINUX on a laptop

  • Hagai Hadad
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9 3:24 AM
      Well,
      First of all I am happy you were able to recover the data (as unpleasant as it seems).
      Second, I am an Ubuntu fan myself (Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular) so it sadden me a little to hear that.
      I feel I must tell you that I do not use command line at all when working in Ubuntu. The Ubuntu GUI (I use GNOME) is mature enough to allow me everything I need (including games).
      Finally, from a quick search in google, I found this (though its with Win 7):
      Hope it might help.

      I do recommend wormly on Ubuntu as the best desktop integrated Linux distro currently available.
      It takes time to get used to it, but once you've done it, you don't go back.
      For example - I have Ubuntu installed on my and and uncle machine and they are the most computer phobic person I have ever met (try to teach the difference between a mouse and a keyboard to a 70 years old ... :)    ).

      Hagai

      On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Shimon Lebowitz <shimonleb@...> wrote:

      I will just comment that a friend of mine tried the Ubuntu dual-boot installation on his laptop, and then was unable to access his Windows data. He brought me the laptop, and I found that his partition table had been klobbered, and access to the NTFS partition was lost. I had to rebuild the table manually to recover access to the NTFS files. (Which took me a few days in my spare time)

      This was NOT fun, and he dropped the whole ubuntu idea.

      I have a suspicion that there might be a bug in the Ubuntu partitioner used in the dual-boot process. Thankfully the partition it built for itself did not actually overwrite any of the old data.

      Shimon

      On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Hagai Hadad <kopolov@...> wrote:

      Do you happen to know if you install it as a dual boot?
      I used plenty of dual boot in the past and had no problem with it.

      I'm guessing (just guessing) that it was not a dual boot installation.
      It does not mean that the data is necessarily gone, but that its going to be a lot harder to retrieve it in this case.
      During the installation there is a stage when you tell the partition manager (part of the installation process) where to install Ubuntu.
      Do you remember what you marked?
      Did you mark the recommended option, did you erase the partition table?

      If you could provide more data, it would be very helpful.

      Hagai

      On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:32 PM, glickmandavid@... <glickmandavid@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I installed Ubuntu on my laptop with my wimdows xp OS.

      I thougt that I would have the option at startup to choose between the OS , but I was wrong!! the Ubunto start up automatically and I can't get to windows.

      I'm afraid that I lost all the information I had in windows... How can I remove Ubuntu??

      please help...

      Thanks,

      David

    • Dotan Cohen
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9 6:03 AM
        On 9 May 2010 13:03, Shimon Lebowitz <shimonleb@...> wrote:

        > I will just comment that a friend of mine tried the Ubuntu dual-boot installation on his laptop, and then was unable to access his Windows data. He brought me the laptop, and I found that his partition table had been klobbered, and access to the NTFS partition was lost. I had to rebuild the table manually to recover access to the NTFS files. (Which took me a few days in my spare time)
        >
        > This was NOT fun, and he dropped the whole ubuntu idea.
        >
        > I have a suspicion that there might be a bug in the Ubuntu partitioner used in the dual-boot process. Thankfully the partition it built for itself did not actually overwrite any of the old data.
        >
        > Shimon

        That is some bug! What version of Ubuntu was that? I hope that you
        filed a bug with the hardware specs so that it might be looked into.
        I've done literally tens of Ubuntu installs (and other Linuxes, and
        tons of Windows installs) and I have not encountered that issue.

        The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the NTFS partition
        was horribly fragmented, and then the installer tried resizing? Might
        that be the case? Will the installer even try to resize NTFS?

        --
        Dotan Cohen

        http://bido.com
        http://what-is-what.com
      • Shimon Lebowitz
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9 7:18 AM
          Shalom Dotan,
          You are right that I *should* have filed a report, but no, I didn't. My friend just wanted his data back,
          and that was all that I really worked on.
          I myself am a linux user at home (PCLinuxOS for a few years), but I used assorted bootable
          DOS based tools for this 'job'.
          Shimon