Re: [gnubies-il] Digest Number 1032

  • Steve G.
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      I am surprised, I installed Ubuntu on a Windows XP machine and it did a dual boot install, did not even give me a way out... Of course I could have formatted the whole disk on purpose by going to manual mode, but why would I...

      At any rate, what you should first do is run the installation disk in a live mode, that is, you do not install the OS but rather run it from the disk. Use a disk formatting program like fdisk to see if you have a partition that is formatted as NTFS, which is what windows xp uses. If there is, you are in good shape. If not, your data is probably gone, unless you want to pay someone a hefty sum to try and recover some of it.

      To re-install windows, simply insert your xp disk into the cd-rom drive, reboot and follow the instructions. Windows will probably erase it for you anyways.

      I suggest, though, that you contact a technician to find out whether you can salvage things - if your windows xp is intact but hidden, you may be able to recover, but not if you install again on top of it.

      Hope this helps.

      Z.

      --
      Check out my web site - www.words2u.net