RE: hard disk crash

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
      Well Tomer, I am speaking out of my arse, but why not just do what fsck suggests?
      Why not run
      e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sdb1
      ?

      Data on drive, is stored in units called blocks - usually very small ones, usually the size 0.5-4KB each.
      So a regular mp3 file, spans thousands of blocks on the drive.
      The superblock, is a special block, containing the drive's Metadata - that is, it contains the drive's ID. If this is lost, you'll have a hard time restoring your data, though it's possible.
      Generally if any block of data is lost, then... Well the data on that block is obviously lost - and generally speaking so is the file that stores part of its data on that block.
      However, the ext2/3 creators made redundant copies of the superblock. This copies are stored in known blocks across you hard-drive. As it seems, one of those is block # 8193.
      Running the above suggested command, will tell e2fsck to assume the superblock is located at block #8193. The first thing it will do, is to go to that block, and fetch its internal data. If that block seems like a superblock - then e2fsck will treat it as such, and will copy its contents back to the normal location of the superblock (usually block 1 or 0). On the next boot (or mount), you'll see your files back, hopefully.
    • baum_j
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
        I honestly don't know how did Ehud became Tomer...
        Maybe it's because I am sitting next to one right now.
        In any case, the response was directed at Ehud.

        --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, David <baum_j@...> wrote:

        > Well Tomer, ....
      • Ehud Reshef
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
          You could assume I tried this before...
          Also looked at multi other forums, which suggested to look at

          fdisk -l
          blkid
            and
          /etc/fstab

          none worked

          what did work was working on the BIOS ...

          I honestly don't know how did Ehud became Tomer...
          Maybe it's because I am sitting next to one right now.
          In any case, the response was directed at Ehud.

          --- In gnubies-il@yahoogro ups.com, David <baum_j@...> wrote:

          > Well Tomer, ....

        • Shimon Lebowitz

            I honestly don't know how did Ehud became Tomer...
            Maybe it's because I am sitting next to one right now.
            In any case, the response was directed at Ehud.

            --- In gnubies-il@yahoogro ups.com, David <baum_j@...> wrote:

            > Well Tomer, ....

          • Ehud Reshef
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
              Went to a computer store - they reconfigured my BIOS to once more acknowledge I do have a secondary hard-disk
              Once BIOS was back to the right configuration - everything worked

              Ehud

              I honestly don't know how did Ehud became Tomer...
              Maybe it's because I am sitting next to one right now.
              In any case, the response was directed at Ehud.

              --- In gnubies-il@yahoogro ups.com, David <baum_j@...> wrote:

              > Well Tomer, ....

            • Shimon Lebowitz
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
                Ouch!! Did they just go into the setup and tell it to "autodetect" the hard drives?
                I hope they didn't charge you more than a few grush for that!

                Thank you for the explanation.
                Shimon

                On 8/10/09, Ehud Reshef <ehud_reshef@...> wrote:

                Went to a computer store - they reconfigured my BIOS to once more acknowledge I do have a secondary hard-disk
                Once BIOS was back to the right configuration - everything worked

                Ehud

                I honestly don't know how did Ehud became Tomer...
                Maybe it's because I am sitting next to one right now.
                In any case, the response was directed at Ehud.

                --- In gnubies-il@yahoogro ups.com, David <baum_j@...> wrote:

                > Well Tomer, ....

              • Ehud Reshef
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
                  1. Free service
                  2. much more complicated - I did try the BIOS myself - had to change the P/SATA setup in the advanced section